Author Topic: Getting a faulty item replaced  (Read 2763 times)

rfwilliams

Getting a faulty item replaced
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:59:26 AM »
I bought a 5003-C and found I had a faulty MTU. I figured it was faulty because the other two worked perfectly and replacing a good one with this faulty one did not get it to work. So I called in trying to get an RMA# so I could send it in to get it replaced. I was told that all I needed to do to get the thing working was to disconnect the red wire and cap it, that would fix the thing. So back into the breaker panel I went and applied the fix, then closed the breaker panel back up. Still no good, so I called in again to see what was required next. After speaking with a pretty sharp woman on the phone, she said she thought that the MTU was resetting (sounds like this is common when a MTU is found to be bad) and I was told I would recieve an email with a prepaid label that I could print out and use to send the MTU in. I recieved the email on the 8th and mailed the MTU on the 9th. Here it is the 17th and when I go to look at the support ticket nothing appears to be happening. I was told the the item might need to be repaired, but if it is going to sit on a technicians desk for a week before he fixes it and sends it back well, that is just no good. I deal a lot in electronics items and I guess that other vendors have me spoiled. When I buy something that doesn't work a full day it usually gets replaced ASAP. I mean I get a new one expedited and send my old one back in the box the new one came in. I guess people have different ideas on what they consider support.

Anyway, has anyone else ever got a bad MTU? And if so, how long did it take to get it replaced/repaired and back to you?

BTW, the serial on this item was 10B2AC so if you order a new one and get this one you know it has had problems in the past.

Thanks,   Randal

lundwall_paul

Re: Getting a faulty item replaced
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »

I thought that I had a bad MTU and purchased one. It was not bad. I had a line noise. I did my own home wiring and I knew where the first outlet in that circuit branch was. I plugged the gateway into that and it has been working fine.

My router gives me some grief now and then and needs to be rebooted. I can tell if it is the router by looking at the router web page and reading what’s on the DHCP table. The TED should show up.

Curmudgeon44

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
Paul, does that mean you returned the MTU, or you have two in your possession?

TEDSupport6

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:25:09 PM »
FYI, to initiate an RMA or receive support for something you believe to be faulty, you can fill out a support ticket at this link: http://www.theenergydetective.com/support/tickets/submit-ticket. Thanks!

lundwall_paul

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:44:18 AM »
I kept the second MTU and purchased a set of current clamps to use as a stand alone.

eagleye

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
I find their support and RMA to be excellent.  They take about 1 to 3 days turnaround after receipt.  You should be happy they sent you a label to pay for return shipping.  Usually, you have to pay to send it in.  I find the company extremely fair and reasonable in repair.  I"m sure they'll fix it fine and if you do get the old "broken" unit, i'd trust that one better as it has to pass a technician inspection as OK to release to a customer.  Actually, you paying to send it back priority mail, will get it fixed quicker.

THey work best on the service tickets.  It may take a few days to get it resolved, but when you're issued the RMA, they are fast to respond when the unit arrives at their facility.  I also received confirmation and tracking when the unit was sent back.  I think shipping is your biggest delay.  I've never had to ask them the status, they always kept me up to date with the repair.

Items came back working great!!!!