The Energy Detective Forums
April 25, 2018, 03:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New TED Support forum launched!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TED Pro Data Editor on the way
pfletch101

« on: November 03, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »

With the support (particularly in letting me have some documentation of file structures and operating concepts) of the TED folks, without which this would, of course, be next to impossible, I am working on a data editor for the Ted Pro. The project is progressing well, and I hope to have the initial version working by the end of next week (November 11), and the user documentation mostly written by the end of the following week. The initial version of the application will allow certain known forms of logical data corruption in the device's memory to be fixed, and missing or incorrect stored Power and Cost data (by hour, day, or billing period) to be added or corrected.

The application does not, for a whole host of reasons, operate directly on the data in the ECC's memory, but it will be capable of extracting the saved data from History (.tbk) files and/or of downloading it directly from a working ECC, across the network. After editing, via an interface that looks like the Footprints 'History' view. but with editable data fields, the modified data is written to disk as a .tbk file, and the ECC's memory is updated by using Footprints to 'restore' this. I will be releasing the application as 'donationware' and will be continuing to support it myself. The TED folks (not unreasonably) have asked me to make it clear that this is not and will not (for the foreseeable future) be an 'official' TED utility, so they cannot guarantee or support it. Users will necessarily be using it at their own risk, though the actual risk of anything bad happening that cannot be fixed by restoring an original History backup file would, in my judgement, be very small indeed, even if I were being much less careful with the coding than I am.

If anyone is interested in beta-testing the initial version of the application, I would ask him/her to contact me by email or Private Message here, and I will respond by email. I would particularly be interested in communicating with testers with a more maxed-out hardware installation, since my installation only has two MTUs and two Spyders - the application is written to deal with a full complement of both (respectively 4 and 32).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:14:15 PM by pfletch101 » Logged

Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits
pfletch101

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »

I haven't had any response to my previous message (is there anybody out there?!), and there have been a couple of bumps in the road, but the History Editor is now up and running, and I would still like to have some volunteers to beta test it before I generally release it. Tests on my hardware have confirmed that even if there is a problem with the edited file nothing terrible happens and everything goes back to the way it was before if you restore the originally backed up data.

Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits
tlveik

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »

I think what you are doing is great.  And I'd be interested if I relied on the data that is stored in the ECC, but I don't.  I wrote my own program and it maintains its own data store.  I just wanted a different interface than what footprints provides.

I know there have been posts in the past from people who wanted data editing capability.  Hopefully with time they will see your post and chime in here.

Keep up the good work!
davew

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:15:14 PM »

I am interested.  I've had situations where bad data has been captured that I want to remove.  No way to do that now. 

-Dave
pfletch101

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »

Additional testing here revealed a couple of further issues, and I will have been away and/or busy with other projects for most of the latter part of December. Send me a PM with your email address, and I will get back to you when I have a beta I am happy with - probably mid-January now.

Peter R. Fletcher
pfletch101

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »

I have (finally!) released the preliminary (V 0.9) version of the TED History Data Editor. It probably needs some polishing, but everything seems to work properly. Please PM me here for a download link for an installer. It comes with a PDF User's Manual and some on-line help.

Peter R. Fletcher
Kpaxman

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »

Hello, I just read this thread.  I'm glad to see somebody creating an editor.  I've had several corrupt data days in the past usually with the systems just reading zero for several hours/days, but last week the system claimed I used $2602287.32 in a single day.  I would love to fix this bad data.  Please send link to download editor and where donation or paypal can be sent.  Thanks in advance for your hard work to create a product/tool to enhance the TED Pro product.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: