Author Topic: EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!  (Read 4176 times)

Cliffman

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:05 AM »
 I read everything there was to read before buying
I sent them my utility bill just to make sure all would work
Below is what I found out after I purchased.

1)   Commander DOES NOT report correctly. Says my “projected bill” is $743.4508. This is more than double what it really is. My demand cost is $435.338 which is 3 times the actual cost. The “Peak Demand” reports much too high at 12.0 kw, should be 9.0 for this month. And this is the short list.
2)   Live Dashboard DOES NOT report correctly. Demand charge is too high at 10.472, should be 9.00
Graphing is buggy. You have to uncheck the re-check the main power to get the graph correct.
All reports except the “Real-Time KW usage” is 1 minute delayed. This is a lot when you are on a demand plan.

After many calls to support the bottom line is. Our software will not work with your utility company’s plan. In the beginning they said it was a bug in the software and later they changed it to being a problem with how my utility company’s plan works. I repeat… I SENT THEM MY UTILITY BILL!

Support says “We can’t cover all the plans out there. There are hundreds.” But there software utility setup wizard ask all the right questions that pertain to my utility setup.

Support7

• Administrator
Re: EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
I apologize for the experience you've had but I couldn't find any related information based on the name or email address you've provided so it would be best to handle this through our ticket system so we can better track the problem.

For troubleshooting or if you run into any questions please let us know by going to http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket and fill in the requested information to submit a support ticket so we can work to resolve any issues that may arise ASAP and make sure we provide the right firmware for any updates requested or required.
Have a wonderful day!

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com

Cliffman

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
Nothing but "LIP SERVICE"! >:(

lundwall_paul

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »
I wouldn't give up too quickly. I have been using this for years. Submit a support ticket is the best way to get direct answers. Mine electric bill is only +/1 $15 from what the TED predicts. I attribute that to the time of day that it is read and the day. I set mine for a meter read day of the 18th. If the 18th falls on a weekend or holiday it gets read a day or two off.

lundwall_paul

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
Just curious how do the readings compare between Footprints on a computer and TED Commander?

Cliffman

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
Lundwall_Paul, They are very different... See attached. My utility reports a demand charge of 9.0. Footprint reports 10.472 and commander reports 12.0. It's pretty much useless to me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:59:47 AM by Cliffman »

Cliffman

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
I wouldn't give up too quickly. I have been using this for years. Submit a support ticket is the best way to get direct answers. Mine electric bill is only +/1 $15 from what the TED predicts. I attribute that to the time of day that it is read and the day. I set mine for a meter read day of the 18th. If the 18th falls on a weekend or holiday it gets read a day or two off.

I've tried it all... They just say that there software does not support my utility's setup.

lundwall_paul

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »
I have to admit I just use the displays and footprints. I screwed around with the Commander enough. I never could get that to agree with anything. Sometimes i couldn't even access it. I totally gave up on that app. I was hoping that they would have fixed that.

tedteam

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »
This is TEDSupport.  We did have bug in our holiday schedule and we thank you for bringing it to our attention - it was corrected.  We also note that you are correct in that the Demand calculation by your Utility is a little different that the way it it calculated in our software, and this accounts for the difference in your example: 9.0kW vs.10.4kW in the Peak Demand.  We do appreciate that you did your homework before purchase, while it is possible that the bill only reflected that you have a 60 minute Demand charge and not the specifics of how it is calculated - if we did miss something that should have been apparent, I do apologize.  In any case - we are looking at the required development to offer the option of calculating the demand based on blocks of time that always begin at the top of the hour in addition to the format we currently use (a rolling average calculated every minute).  This decision will be based on the number of utilities that we find have gone to this format.  We really are reviewing this as we have to do for each case.  Example: Just last week, we had a customer report that their Utility begins the weekend rates on Friday at 6PM - this is a new one for us - we will be reviewing it and others as they are reported. If other forum users have a Demand charge, we would welcome your input as to how your utility calculates the Demand.
Cliffman, please note - Even with the difference in the Demand charge calculation, the bill shown in Commander should be much closer to your actual than you describe, so we do encourage you to create a support ticket for this and I see is no reason that we shouldn't be able to get to the bottom of the issue.

We do hope that alerts from TED Advisor 10 minute kW average will still be a good tool to help avoid hitting a high Peak Demand.  Also, the Export history should give you a way to review the Peak time as reported by your utility to be sure that you understand and agree with the value they report.  Reviewing the Spyder pie chart for your reported Peak times should also be valuable information.

Cliffman

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »
And another issue is Commander's Adviser. It dosen't allow for days of the week option for when to be notified. My off peak time includeds Saturday and Sunday. This Sunday I received 158 very annoying notices that I'm over my demand setting.  :o :(

rs5653689

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
Hi Support.
Current calculation is very low nearest 3-4 time less. Usually we spend 3000-4000 kWt per month. But TED decide only 1000-1200 kWt per month(statistic 5 month).
I did some test:
I used https://www.netclickshop.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1606
Data before 1,008 kW
Data after  1,896 kW
This water heater spend 2,0-2,4 kW

And I solve TED show me 3 time less energy.
May be problem with calibration?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Hi rs5653689,

If you suspect a calibration issue then you can use a known load to verify this. By known load I am referring to something like a hairdryer or space heater that uses at least 1000w and has a label on it that states the output wattage. Hairdryers are usually the easiest to use as they typically use 1500w and the output is printed right on the side of it. Plug in the known load and watch the real time gauge on the Footprints Dashboard and turn on the known load. It will reflect the difference so you can determine the difference if there is one in calibration. More often then not when the readings are off it is an installation issue so you will need to submit a support ticket via the link below so we can take it step by step to try and resolve it.

For troubleshooting or if you run into any questions please let us know by going to http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket and fill in the requested information to submit a support ticket so we can work to resolve any issues that may arise ASAP and make sure we provide the right firmware for any updates requested or required.
Have a wonderful day!

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com