The Energy Detective Forums
December 12, 2017, 03:24:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New TED Support forum launched!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello all - New and deciding on products
jrb2017

« on: August 24, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »

Good morning. So, I bought 3 wifi thermostats and decided that was pointless since, after initial setup, you rarely touch them, so sent them back and then saw another product. In researching that product, I came across TED.

TED appears to be quite a bit more developed, so wanted to ask a few questions, as I read up on it more, to help narrow my focus, I hope no-one minds.

Thank you all, btw, for the help.

So.....

1 - I assume the software installs locally and supports both Winblows 7 and 10? One of the complaints about one competing package is that it is all cloud driven and cannot export etc.. "what if the company goes away?" etc.. so, TED resolves that, I take it?

2 - Another product has zero ability, currently, to reflect costs while TED, again...assumption, allows me to punch in my current electricity costs and then it will calculate my costs on an ongoing basis. Does it auto update or do I need to update it is/if electrical costs fluctuate?

3 - The 5000 Pro looks like a great package to start with, but if it detects a light etc, what is the benefit of adding a Spyder setup? In my mind, in for a dime, in for a dollar.. and if I have like 20 breakers, the cost can get pretty high to add one to all of them, right? So, any real benefit after the initial "wow" factor is over, or can I lower that difference by "teaching" the software by turning on and off lights and identifying them in the app?

Thank you!

Russ
Support7
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:30 AM »

Hi Russ,

The software is built into the ECC so there is nothing to install on your computer. You can access it from any internet enabled device that's on your network using an internet browser. There are instructions to find the IP address and once you have that it's just like accessing a website that's hosted locally on your network. So it works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, & Android. You do have the option to export your data to a spreadsheet format through Footprints which is the name of the included software. I will include a link to a live demo of the Footprints page below so you can check out the features.

You can adjust the Utility Settings to include all of your utility costs, meter read date, and various rate season and tier options and demand charges so it should be able to match fairly closely to your utility bill.

The Spyder's allow you to break down to see individual loads so with a fully loaded system which is 4 MTU's and 4 Spyders giving you a total of 36 circuits that you could monitor and track what loads are drawing how much current. Unfortunately the TED system is only able to monitor current and is not set up to control devices that you have plugged in to turn them on or off. There are some guys in the developers section of the forum that have worked on load shedding and things along those lines but I'm not familiar with how far they got so you could check into that if you would like. 

For troubleshooting or if you run into any questions please let us know by going to http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket and fill in the requested information to submit a support ticket so we can work to resolve any issues that may arise ASAP and make sure we provide the right firmware for any updates requested or required.

Footprints Live Demo: http://prodemo.theenergydetective.com/tedproxy/Footprints.html

Have a wonderful day!

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com

pfletch101

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »

Good morning. So, I bought 3 wifi thermostats and decided that was pointless since, after initial setup, you rarely touch them.

My system includes a WiFi Thermostat, but the aspects that I use the WiFi capability for are beyond the needs of most normal people.  Smiley Having said that, the WiFi thermostat I use offers much more flexibility of local settings than I have seen on other programmable thermostats, so I might well have chosen to use it for those, even if I didn't want to use its WiFi connectivity.

TED appears to be quite a bit more developed, so wanted to ask a few questions, as I read up on it more, to help narrow my focus, I hope no-one minds.

Thank you all, btw, for the help.

So.....

1 - I assume the software installs locally and supports both Winblows 7 and 10? One of the complaints about one competing package is that it is all cloud driven and cannot export etc.. "what if the company goes away?" etc.. so, TED resolves that, I take it?

Other than a small program that is used to help install the hardware, and is often not needed, the 'software' is all in what amounts to a very small internet site built in to the device's central controller. You use a browser to access it, set it up, and view your data. You can also download data from it to process in other ways, either from the browser interface or using an available API from programs running on a networked system. TED supports and/or is supported by a few cloud-based data aggregators, but is primarily designed as a local network resource.

2 - Another product has zero ability, currently, to reflect costs while TED, again...assumption, allows me to punch in my current electricity costs and then it will calculate my costs on an ongoing basis. Does it auto update or do I need to update it is/if electrical costs fluctuate?

You can put in reasonably complex cost structures and TED will do the calculations and display current and cumulative costs, but you are responsible for updating the cost structure if/when your utility changes something. There is some support for costs varying by time of day and day of the week. Hourly rate billing is not supported (it would need a lot more code than the device has room for, as well as data access arrangements with the utilities that use it).

3 - The 5000 Pro looks like a great package to start with, but if it detects a light etc, what is the benefit of adding a Spyder setup? In my mind, in for a dime, in for a dollar.. and if I have like 20 breakers, the cost can get pretty high to add one to all of them, right? So, any real benefit after the initial "wow" factor is over, or can I lower that difference by "teaching" the software by turning on and off lights and identifying them in the app?

The Spyder system provides the only effective way of monitoring usage at the breaker level. Leaving a light on (e.g.) increases the total load in a typical house by much less than the 'noise level' of the system if you are only monitoring the utility mains feed. For this and other reasons, it is not possible to 'teach' the software to recognize load patterns. Some cloud-based systems have attempted this, but (AFAIK) have met with very limited success, even for loads like A/C units, which have fairly characteristic 'signatures'.

Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits
Cliffman

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »

Don't do it!
davew

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »

FYI, I have a TED Pro with Spyder.  Breaking out loads can help you understand usage for a few reasons.  Forget about lights.  Think bigger items like a central AC unit, electric water heater, range, etc.  The bigger usage items are the ones you might want to adjust your habits if you know their usage better.

I have time-of-day metering with my utility.  It's been invaluable to know how my big loads affect my bill and the Footprints software does a good job of showing this. 

For those using a portion of your home for a business, you can meter those loads and deduct or charge back those amounts to your business.

After working through a few quirks, I've been very happy with the system.  I found TED support to be very helpful and accommodating.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: