The Energy Detective Forums
May 27, 2018, 08:31:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New TED Support forum launched!!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Shutting Down PowerMeter on Sept 16, 2011
Bidgely

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »

Lots of changes I see... Been running TED5000 now for about 2 years. So when I got the Google Power Meter notice, I decided I needed to check back in to the forums... It seems that I no longer had an account Sad and had to create a new one, even though I  had been on back in February 2011 and updated firmware and footprints ...

So now I'm looking at the various alternatives you posted ... starting at the top of the page with myenersave.com.

The "obvious" first thing I noticed is that it cannot possibly get the billing information correct.  It simply does not have the information necessary to do the computations. I'm guessing that they are using PECO's rate to compare as their base, but even that won't come up with the correct numbers.... sigh. 

One thing which I also noticed immediately --- the tell you to upgrade to R452 ... I'm only running R406... sigh. If it's not one thing, its another ...Smiley

Dear whmagill,
 Rep from myenersave - we will pull your rates from PECO directly to compute the most accurate numbers. In absence of correct numbers available from PECO, we will also give you an option to enter your average rate very soon.
Also, upgrading to R452 is only a suggestion. You can continue with older firmware revision or with TED Polling option (which required you to open a port on your router and forward it to TED gateway).

Thanks
myEnerSave Team
lsm

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 09:11:49 AM »

I have signed up for one of the alternatives, and it was fast and easy through TED's "Energy Posting" interface.

I am wondering, however, if TED would (or could) allow posting to more than one third-party host? Right now, you have to de-activate, then re-activate one at a time. These providers are new and who knows how long they may stick around (after all, Google couldn't even make a case). Plus it would be nice to evaluate a couple of services at a time and hedge your bets against one or more of the services pulling a "Google".

Is this something that could be considered in a future firmware release or are there technical limitations in the device?

Mike

I would like to second the request for being able to post data to multiple sites.  None of the sites seems to be really comprehensive at this time, and it would be good to be able to switch.  For example, I like peoplepower for my iphone, but would rather another site to hold longer term statistics and be able to download data, etc.

Lee
nbhms

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 06:26:30 AM »

I'd like to add a +1 to the requests to be able to send data to multiple 3rd party sites.

Does anyone have any feedback on any of them yet?  I'm especially interested in ones like "MyEnerSave" which claim:  "Simple pie charts show appliance-level breakdown of energy bill - all without the use of any hardware plug level sensors."  Do any of them actually do this effectively?

I'm trying MyEragy for now, but it hasn't collected enough data yet for any "tips".

Thank you for your comment!  Yes, we have many exciting alternatives to the Google PowerMeter, which can be found here: www.theenergydetective.com/google.

As Google announced today on their blog, Google PowerMeter will be discontinued this September 2011.  
Google will be sending an e-mail shortly to ALL Google PowerMeter users, which will direct them to this page: www.theenergydetective.com/google.

The good news is that Google will provide each customer with detailed instructions on how they can download and save their Google PowerMeter data.  Google will also redirect all of their customers to our landing page, which offers a wide variety of exciting Google PowerMeter alternatives, most of which are completely free to the customer.

If you are a distributor, please note that some of these applications (such as MyEragy Pro) allow you to view all of your TED customers on one dashboard, as well as individually. This will serve as an exciting tool to view your TED installations collectively.  Additionally, we have released a Developer API for TED AggreData (listed on the bottom of www.theenergydetective.com/google ) which will result in more developers creating applications for our distributors.

tlveik

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »

I signed up with PlotWatt, which looks good to me.  But ever since I dropped Google Power Meter and signed up with PlotWatt, I've been having repeated problems connecting locally with my gateway.  Don't know if there is any connection with that switch to PlotWatt or not.

I keep loosing the ability to resolve the TED5000 name, so I switch to the DHCP IP address and it works again.  If I power cycle the gateway, then the TED5000 name works again for a while then quits again and I have to use the IP address again.

Could there be any connection to switching to PlotWatt?  Don't know.
nbhms

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 06:19:25 AM »

I believe you need to upgrade your firmware.  I got an email from MyEragy that there was a known issue with version 406 of the Ted5000 firmware causing it to lock up when sending data to a 3rd party.  I'm waiting till my month end in a day or two to update because I believe it wipes the current month data.

I signed up with PlotWatt, which looks good to me.  But ever since I dropped Google Power Meter and signed up with PlotWatt, I've been having repeated problems connecting locally with my gateway.  Don't know if there is any connection with that switch to PlotWatt or not.

I keep loosing the ability to resolve the TED5000 name, so I switch to the DHCP IP address and it works again.  If I power cycle the gateway, then the TED5000 name works again for a while then quits again and I have to use the IP address again.

Could there be any connection to switching to PlotWatt?  Don't know.
tlveik

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »

Looks like I'm going to have to wait.  I have a 20 series gateway and have to stick with version 406 until the next 20 series version is released.

So in the meantime, I dropped PlotWatt and my communication troubles with the gateway have stopped.
gman19

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

I'm going to give PeoplePower a try on my Adroid....will post update after I can form an opinion Huh
pfile

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »

strange... it was supposed to be retired yesterday and google still has that language on the "about" pages... but powermeter is still very much alive.

i signed up for plotwatt but so far it looks like they are not properly receiving my data. there are all kinds of jumps in the power consumption data, lots of times where it's reporting 0kw, etc. i do have to upgrade my firmware but i'm waiting for the end of my billing cycle.

pfile

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »

great... powermeter is still up and running and the addition of plotwatt uploads to my TED5000 caused it to hang sometime yesterday and stop reporting data to either google or plottwatt. i hope the firmware update addresses this.
eagleye

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »

Angry  I still see my data in google power meter.  While it says it's discontinued, I though they were going to wipe the data.  Now, my power meter activation link it still there.  The only problem is that now my gateway no longer has the google activation tab under the settings after a firmware update.  I've already moved my data to a new service but I am now wondering if the google will still work.  The whole reason I like google is I had my power meter on my homepage and it made it VERY convenient to view my system from anywhere in the world on my homepage.  So, can I put the powermeter activation back into my TED and will it still work with google?  What are other people experiencing? 
eagleye

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »

Well, I guess I spoke too soon.  The data is now gone.  Sad
dprljackson

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 03:39:04 AM »

Hi all,

I tried a few of the alternatives to powermeter a month or two ago but none of them were able to handle solar panels.  Does anyone know if any of these third party programs will handle multiple MTUs?  Should be pretty trivial I would think.

Cheers
pfile

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 04:04:29 AM »

great... powermeter is still up and running and the addition of plotwatt uploads to my TED5000 caused it to hang sometime yesterday and stop reporting data to either google or plottwatt. i hope the firmware update addresses this.

yeah great, even after the software update plotwatt seems to lose contact with the ted5000. this time footprints is up and running fine but plotwatt says they have not received data in 7 hours. powermeter always worked fine. not sure if this problem is on my end or plotwatt's end.

this sucks
pfile

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

yeah great, even after the software update plotwatt seems to lose contact with the ted5000. this time footprints is up and running fine but plotwatt says they have not received data in 7 hours. powermeter always worked fine. not sure if this problem is on my end or plotwatt's end.

this sucks

okay, things seem to have improved. i think the problem must have been on plotwatt's end.
DavidCB74

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 03:00:08 AM »

So, I'd like to double check I few points in terms of MyEnerSave hosting...

Registered with Enersave and selected the "TED5000POLLING" option(for more detailed and 'granular' data uploads).  Now, its my understanding that this will work fine as long as my external IP stays the same, but its safe to assume TimeWarnerCable will reset that IP at least once a month or even twice a month.  In light of that, i signed up with DynDNS.org (for free) to keep the data moving in the right direction regardless ISP IP changes... 

Does it sound like this will work???

AND, this should leave the 3rd party posting in the TED open for the peoplepower i'm already using?, Right??

Thank you guys for any wisdom you may have on my logic here.

David
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: