Author Topic: 2 Service panels question  (Read 2094 times)

SteveT

2 Service panels question
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
I have 2 service panels.If I get the Home Pro and install in one panel can a Spyder POP 200amp CT's monitor the feed to the second panel and one of the other CT's monitor the Solar 20 amp breaker?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 05:13:34 PM by SteveT »

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: 2 Service panels question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
Your drawing is not entirely consistent with your question. The answer is probably yes, but with some significant reservations. The normal way to monitor a system which includes power generation (whether PV, wind, or hydro) is to use a second main MTU and CTs to monitor generation. TED (when set up correctly) then does the necessary calculations so that numbers are appropriately added and/or subtracted to display Load, Generation, and 2-way flow to the Utility. Only a correctly configured CT attached directly to a MTU can correctly read and show bidirectional flow. Spyders assume that all their arms are measuring load. You can't have TED automatically subtract the reading of one Spyder arm from that of another, or from that of a main MTU CT. You would have to collect the data and do the mat yourself, after the fact,

As far as monitoring the load on a second panel goes, if your panels are as close together as you show them to be, you can probably run the leads from CTs on the input live wires of the 'secondary' panel to a Spyder attached to an MTU in the primary panel (the panel to which the PV system is attached). Problems are likely if you need to monitor breaker circuits with a Spyder attached to an MTU mounted in one panel from an ECC plugged into a circuit that is fed from a different panel.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

SteveT

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
Thanks for the response. the attach pic is more of what I'm trying to do. Yes the panels are next to each other with a stud between. I'm trying to find out if I can connect the two with a 3/4" conduit.
If I could put the MTU in the feed box to the meter would cut some of the cost but I doubt that is allowed. Was originally going to get the 5003-C but that's not available any longer.

twwebster

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
Food for thought you may want to rethink using a spyder to monitor your solar, the MTU with CT's direct connected has an accuracy of 1%,  CT's on a Spyder are listed as +/- 5-7% accuracy.

Otherwise I don't see why you couldn't do the rest the way you want. I have 2 MTU's currently 1 for main, 1 for my wind turbine, I will add another with 2 spyders in the future to monitor circuits in my house. The Main and wind MTUs are in a remote panel (at the meter) 80' or so from the manel in my house.

T

SteveT

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »
Ok thanks. Looks like:
1 - MTU for the mail panel feeds
1 - MTU for Solar
1 - Spyder POP  for the other Panel main feed and the rest for various other circuits.
Time to start saving my pennies.     :D