Author Topic: Spyder Settings  (Read 2149 times)

breaker man

Spyder Settings
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
According to the instructions you are suppose to check the 20A box if you are using a 20A CT.   What happens if forget to check the box when you are setting up the spyder settings?

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Spyder Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
According to the instructions you are suppose to check the 20A box if you are using a 20A CT.   What happens if forget to check the box when you are setting up the spyder settings?

Nothing fatal, I am sure!  :) The setting affects the gain on the channel (and possibly tweaks the response in other ways). I imagine that the incorrectly set channel  will read higher than it should, but I don't know by what factor.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:31:13 AM »
Yeah, nothing serious will happen but your readings will be about 3x's what they should be and you won't get any resolution on low current draw so you won't pick up small loads when they are the only thing on.

breaker man

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
Thanks for the responses.   I replaced some 60A CT with 10A since the high load on the breakers were about 6A and forgot to check the block in the spyder settings.   Realize this at the end of the billing cycle when comparing to power company bill.   I started to monitor the breakers for several days after making the changes and yeah it looks like it was at least 2.5x greater without the block checked.