Author Topic: Strange Readings on Spyder (Ted Pro Home)  (Read 1382 times)

TorontoGuy

Strange Readings on Spyder (Ted Pro Home)
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
I recently reconfigured my Ted Pro home to improve PLC communication by moving the MTUs and ECC onto the same circuit.  Worked like a charm.  However now I have a problem.

When I reconfigured my setup, I moved the MTUs and moved the Spyders from one MTU to another, assuming it didn't matter.  Then I updated the system settings to match the new arrangement.

Everything works fine now, great solid signal, MTU readings are correct, however the readings on both of the Spyders are way, way too high.

My basement furnace circuit which should read between 5kW and 10kW reads 55.141kW
My 2nd furnace also reads 55.141kW
My electronics cabinet which usually reads ~700w now reads 27.592kW

I called technical support and they mentioned the usual cause was connecting the MTU to the SPY OUT connector, and in fact when I checked I had done this.  It's corrected now with no change.

I've power cycled everything multiple times, verified the connections, reset the ECC.  I have not restored to factory defaults however.

Any ideas?

D

*Edit.  I did do a 'restore to factory defaults and erase data' and it didn't make any difference.  As far as I can tell the Spyder readings are approx 10x normal.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:17:49 PM by TorontoGuy »

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Strange Readings on Spyder (Ted Pro Home)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
You probably need to call tech support again and/or raise a ticket. I imagine that it is possible that connecting the MTU to the wrong 'side' of the Spyder has done some damage to one or the other. Why they couldn't name/label the connections in a more user-friendly manner, I will never know!
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

Support7

• Administrator
Re: Strange Readings on Spyder (Ted Pro Home)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
As long as you power cycled the MTU after making the change to the Spyder data cable from SPY Out to SPY IN then it should have resolved the issue as it shouldn't have caused any damage to the component itself so it would be best to submit a support ticket to troubleshoot this issue so we can attempt to narrow down the cause a bit better.

If you run into any questions or anything please let us know by going to http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket and fill in the requested information to submit a support ticket so we can work to resolve any issues that may arise ASAP and make sure we provide the right firmware for any updates requested or required.

Have a wonderful day!

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com