Author Topic: Spyder 20A CT read low current  (Read 1867 times)

escyr

Spyder 20A CT read low current
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
I'd like to be able to read very low current with 20A CTs on my Spyder.  I know that if I "loop" the load wire through the CT multiple times, it will effectively multiply the current reading.  By doing this, will I be able to read lower current and then adjust using a less than zero in the multiplier field on the Spyder CT configuration?

OC Hugh

Re: Spyder 20A CT read low current
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:52:50 AM »
Interesting question.  I'd like to know the answer to that too.
Hugh

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
I'd like to be able to read very low current with 20A CTs on my Spyder.  I know that if I "loop" the load wire through the CT multiple times, it will effectively multiply the current reading.  By doing this, will I be able to read lower current and then adjust using a less than zero in the multiplier field on the Spyder CT configuration?

What you propose should work, though I wonder (I don't know) whether you would have to take the 'outside' section of the loop a little bit away from the CT, rather than simply making a number of tight loops round and through the core. BTW, I think you mean: "using a fractional multiplier", rather than "using a less than zero in the multiplier field".
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:18:52 PM »
Yes that should work and for example if you looped it through 3 times then you would use a multiplier of 0.33.

Have a wonderful day!

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com