Author Topic: Magic number 0.076kW  (Read 1687 times)

BSartist

Magic number 0.076kW
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
A couple of my circuits monitored by a Spyder often (but not always) show 0.076kW. I noticed it first with my air handlers when they were off so I thought it was some transformer loss at play - they do hum a little. But it was not all the time and I'm also seeing it on other circuits that have no such load. I'm trying to ignore it but if it's a phantom number it's going to throw off some of my analysis.

Any ideas?

Bill

Piedmont

Re: Magic number 0.076kW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
I'm not sure if they fixed this, mine does similar.  My Spyder was recording low usage for my dining room when nothing was using the circuit, to make sure I shut off the circuit and you can imagine my surprise when I still saw it reporting some kW was being used.  I then unplugged the sensor from the Spyder and it was STILL reporting a slight usage.  I then disconnected all lines from the spyder and found out

1.) Some ports of the Spyder don't zero out.  As you mentioned it's typically a low fixed rate.
2.) Every spyder is different.  I have 2 spyders, 1 has 3 ports that don't ever zero out and the other has 1 port.
3.) It's been over a year, I was told there'd be a firmware update so you can zero the bad lines

It's strange seeing my 2 spyders where I'll see I'm using $0.11/kWh then when I add up all my spyders legs they add up to $0.23kW!  I trust the main one over the spyders.  What I've done for now is to not use the legs that can't zero and disable them, but there's that new firmware update posted at the top of this forum that maybe fixes it.  I'm here to download and get it to find out.

BSartist

Re: Magic number 0.076kW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »
Mine do sometimes drop to zero for a bit. Then back up to .076

I think when I've killed the breaker it keeps it at zero. But if it's a phantom draw why is it sometimes not there? And why are is it always that number on those three circuits?