Author Topic: Bad filter?  (Read 2067 times)

BSartist

Bad filter?
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:39:43 PM »
I ordered my Pro Home kit and bought an inline filter with it. I wanted to be pristine about keeping all the TED stuff isolated from any X-10 in the house. I added a dedicated outlet next to the panel and wired in the inline filter according to the instructions. Red to the breaker, all the blacks twisted together. Whites to the neutral bar. I powered everything up but I could not get the MTU link led to stay on. And I was getting 100% Skp rate. Nothing getting to the ECC. The ECC Link light was on I believe. On a hunch I took the filter out of the picture and ran the MTU black and black out to the ECC outlet right into the breaker. Now it's working. But I'd rather have the peace of mind of having it isolated.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Anything else I should try? Or does it sound like a bum filter?

BSartist

Re: Bad filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
It was working for awhile without the filter. Then installed my Spyder. It seemed to be working for a bit. I got the Spyder configured. The SKP rate started climbing. Now it won't link to the ECC. I powered it all down and unplugged the Spyder. Still no link light on the MCU.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
You have the filter hooked up correctly. You must make sure the ECC is plugged into an outlet on the same breaker that the MTU is hooked up to otherwise you will not get communication. If you have the filter hooked up and the ECC on the same breaker as the MTU and the still are not getting communication that means there is another device on that breaker that is causing a lot of noise and stopping communication.

BSartist

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »
I have had some email communication with Bob and am still waiting to hear back. First, he said that they are looking into a design issue with inline filters not working when the ECC is plugged in near the panel.

But at this point I must have a bad MTU or ECC and am waiting to hear back. I have done the following and still have 100% Skp rate. Not a single packet has reached the ECC in days.

1) brand new completely dedicated branch circuit with a single receptacle next to the panel. Both MTU and ECC fed from that breaker.

2) I've tried that config both with and without the filter in place.

3) I've turned off. EVERY other breaker in the house. This is about as isolated as it gets.

4) for giggles I tried them on other circuits to rule out breaker, receptacle etc.

Nothing works. The link light on the MTU never comes on.  I've watched all the videos. I've tried a hard reset of the ECC. The lights don't behave as the video suggests.

I've got a spider plugged into the MTU and the spider just blinks blue constantly.

So I would be thrilled if your folks could dispense with the basic user troubleshooting and try to escalate this or send me replacements. I've spent two days on this. I've got an EE degree and spent 30 years in information technology systems and networks. So I'm prepared to try any further troubleshooting necessary. However my guess is that there is nothing left to try if all we are going to keep looking for is noise on the line.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:04:14 PM by BSartist »

BSartist

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
Check out this video of the config. MTU/ECC on same breaker. ALL other breakers off. No MTU link light. Spyder blinks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdVx5pGLxIE

BSartist

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
Here is an update...

Got on the phone with Bob today and we confirmed my setup. The critical thing that came out of the call is that it can sometimes take up to three minutes for the ECC/MTU link to establish. When it did work I saw a much shorter establish time. So he had me repeat my test with all other breakers off but wait at least three minutes. Turns out that after about a full minute or so, the link established! So I was not waiting long enough in my previous tests.

When I turned on the breaker that held my alarm system, I lost the link. It's a different circuit but same phase.

Bob confirmed that the inline filter will not work in my config with the ECC so close to the panel) so I'll need to create isolation using the plug in filter.

In the meantime I swapped my new dedicated TED breaker with the one above it thus moving it to the phase other than where my alarm system is. It's been solid with a 17,000/157 MTU rec/Skp ratio. That's less than one percent.