Author Topic: Ted Pro Home - Additional Panel  (Read 2342 times)

AndyW

Ted Pro Home - Additional Panel
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:35 PM »
I run a small bakery.  Have my Ted Pro Home installed on one the my two panels.  I want to add an additional MTU so I can monitor the other panel and spider some of the legs.  Which additional MTU would I need so I can monitor the main power coming in along with a spider to monitor some of the legs?

I was thinking this
http://www.theenergydetective.com/homemtuct200.html
(product 293)

But the description doesn't say if it can have a spyder or not on it?

Is this the MTU I need to add to my second independent panel?

Support7

• Administrator
Re: Ted Pro Home - Additional Panel
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »
Hello AndyW,

Yes you can add a spyder to that MTU and it is probably the best choice to monitor your additional panel if you panel is a split phase system. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

AndyW

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
I saw that page, but there is no SPYDER port shown in the photo.  So will that MTU support a spyder port?

jfpetesn

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »
I believe that every MTU can support a spyder that monitors 8 circuits.  There are 4 numbered ports on both of the long sides of the MTU.  These will accommodate 4 spyders on each side for a total of 8 spyders (circuits) on each MTU.  So if you have 2 MTU's you can monitor 16 individual circuits.  The Spyder tab will not show up in footprints until you activate and install the spyders.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
I believe that every MTU can support a spyder that monitors 8 circuits.  There are 4 numbered ports on both of the long sides of the MTU.  These will accommodate 4 spyders on each side for a total of 8 spyders (circuits) on each MTU.  So if you have 2 MTU's you can monitor 16 individual circuits.  The Spyder tab will not show up in footprints until you activate and install the spyders.

I think that you are somewhat confused (or at least using the same term, 'MTU', for two different pieces of hardware in the same paragraph, which is liable seriously to confuse others).  :)

TED uses the term 'MTU' for the small black boxes that each connect to a pair of CTs that (by design) monitor both sides of a primary circuit - usually either the utility feed or the PV solar feed. TED uses the term 'Spyder' for the similar sized black boxes that each have eight CT legs to monitor secondary circuits. Each Pro MTU can support two Spyders, but the MTU only has one Spyder port, in addition to its main CT connectors. If you are using two Spyders on a single MTU, the second is 'daisy-chained' to the first. It is the Spyders that have four ports on each side, each of which can connect to a CT.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:01:11 PM by pfletch101 »
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

jfpetesn

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
My bad you are correct. The point I was trying to make is that (1) All the Pro Home MTU's are able to accept the spyder accessory and (2) the spyder tab in footprints will not be available until the spyder is attached and configured.  I guess I went at that the long way and confused myself in the process.  I should have caught that as I have installed and reinstalled mine enough.