Author Topic: Cannot get ted pro home accurate  (Read 2913 times)

laaf2005

Cannot get ted pro home accurate
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »
I will start by saying i am no electrician, but i am pretty good at figuring things out.  I have had the ted pro home since november 2014 and had spent a lot of time on and off working to get it right.  I have tried contacting support with no luck so i am posting here for help.  I have verified it is installed correctly, but cannot get the ted to come close to my meters reading.  My MTU skp is about 27% which is where I think i am having an issue as my month total usage with Ted is much lower than my actual bill.  I am just using it to measure my total home electric usage.  It is connected to my mains in the breaker panel like it should be.  I verified i am on the same phase as my ECC.  I have tried turning off all breakers except the ones needed for my Ted with nothing else plugged in and still get around 27% MTU Skp.   The only key factor is that my Mtu and ecc are not on the same circuit breaker.  I have a new home and all my breakers are AFCI except a couple so i used what was available, but couldnt get them on the same one due to location.  My next step will be to move the ted to the same circuit (i beleive its the circuit for my garbage disposal in the kitchen) and try to direct connect to it with my computer to see if that helps, but I cannot get internet to this location.  I did try moving it to other circuits on the same phase with the same results.  I know you can use a in line filter but doesnt that only work if the ecc and mtu are on the same circuit or if you know which circuit has noise  (i dont know because i turned everything i could off and still had 27% mtu skp)?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

RussellH

Re: Cannot get ted pro home accurate
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
Sounds like you're on the right track.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Ideally, one should connect both the circuit which the ECC plugs into and the MTUs to a single breaker, which is used for nothing else. Life is rarely ideal, and the realities of one's installation often prevent this. However, I certainly wouldn't connect either the ECC or the MTUs to a circuit with a high wattage motor on it, because of the near-certainty of the motor causing electrical interference when it is running. I note that your skip rate stays high with 'everything you could', including (presumably) the garbage disposal, turned off, but I would still avoid using that circuit.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

laaf2005

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »
I just ended up on that circuit while testing.  I am just not sure why my skp ratio is so high with everything disconnected.  I shut off all other breakers, disconnected everything plugged into a wall outlet and when that didn't work I moved it to another circuit.  The other option would be to pay to have a new breaker and outlet installed just for the TED, but I am trying to avoid this route. 

jfpetesn

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »
I put my ECC in the same room as my electrical panel, ran a dedicated outlet a few feet away from the panel and installed all the TED electronics on one circuit.  I did have to run some Cat 5 a fair distance from my router to the ECC but for me it was easier to pull some Cat 5 rather than the 12-3 and cheaper too.  My skips are now at 0.003 and that is with 2 MTU's.  Once I had my skips to a reasonable value I started slowly adjusting the MTU calibrations to match my utility meter.  It took some time and effort but I am matching my utility readings within 5 kWh per month which is as close as I can get them.  I have solar also so I am dealing with 2 variables.

RussellH

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
I am just not sure why my skp ratio is so high with everything disconnected.
It's possible you have noise on the line coming into the house.  That's why you can't eliminate it.

laaf2005

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
I am just not sure why my skp ratio is so high with everything disconnected.
It's possible you have noise on the line coming into the house.  That's why you can't eliminate it.

What's the best way to fix this type of issue?

RussellH

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 09:26:51 PM »
What's the best way to fix this type of issue?
You create a dedicated filtered circuit with only the MTU and the Gateway on it. 

valheru

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »
I have a similar issue where the only circuit I could get the MTU and ECC to properly communicate together was far away from any sort of feasible network wiring job.  My solution was to install a wifi bridge for my ECC.  It's a device you configure with the parameters for your wifi network and then you run a short ethernet cable from the bridge to your ECC.  Instant wifi connectivity, and works great.