Author Topic: Footprints - Things I've seen so far  (Read 4077 times)

gregoryx

Footprints - Things I've seen so far
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:48:11 AM »
Footprints seems to be pretty cool... when a page actually loads and the data shows up. But that doesn't seem to be reliable for me thus far.

Things I've seen so far:
1- click on "Graphing" and get "Loading Data..." that just never changes.
2- "Settings, System" gets "System Error"
3- "Settings, Utility" gets "System Error"
4- Modify Dashboard / Graphs doesn't allow decimals ???
5- Default values - stored in the local browser? Can this be right? All the Dashboard / Graph Settings are a cookie?

I've tried Firefox and IE instead of Chrome - different looks and loading, but same basic issues.

Biggest ones, of course, are that graphs often don't load at all. And that "Loading Data..." window stays up until I refresh.

In case it matters, I've got ECC v1.0.667 and Footprints v1.0.668

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:20:27 PM by Support7 »

at

Re: Footprints - does it sort of suck?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:19:42 AM »
Footprints has worked pretty well for me overall, just a few problems with graphing which are fixed when you reset the graph parameters.  I'm using Safari/OSX.

gregoryx

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:03:46 AM »
Thnaks, at. When you say, "reset the graph parameters," do you mean "Advanced, Reset Totals to Zero"?

If so, I've done that and I still get the same errors.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:11:24 AM »
Footprints seems to be pretty cool... when a page actually loads and the data shows up. But that doesn't seem to be reliable for me thus far.

Things I've seen so far:
1- click on "Graphing" and get "Loading Data..." that just never changes.
2- "Settings, System" gets "System Error"
3- "Settings, Utility" gets "System Error"
4- Modify Dashboard / Graphs doesn't allow decimals ???
5- Default values - stored in the local browser? Can this be right? All the Dashboard / Graph Settings are a cookie?

I've tried Firefox and IE instead of Chrome - different looks and loading, but same basic issues.

Biggest ones, of course, are that graphs often don't load at all. And that "Loading Data..." window stays up until I refresh.

In case it matters, I've got ECC v1.0.667 and Footprints v1.0.668

Other than your 4 and 5, which are indeed (IMHO) limitations of the software, rather than bugs, your problems all look to be network (or, less likely, computer loading) related. They are what I would expect to see with a very slow or flaky network connection or a very underpowered computer. I have seen very occasional problems loading screens, usually when my computer is busy doing two or three other things, but these always respond to screen refreshes.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

at

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 03:24:46 AM »
In the history page my graphs almost always start out wrong.  I think this is because I have 3 MTUs.  To fix it I just select a new "view type" or "duration" on that page and then it redisplays correctly.

lundwall_paul

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:16:33 PM »
The History page is useless once you have there is a wrong entry. Once you have a wrong entry that's is! Your stuck with that for two years for it to get over written. When the History page gets corrupted (and that doesn't take too long to happen) this throws off the Graphing does not work properly.

Just a thought that these two pages should be eliminated or that a tool be developed to edit history. :'( :'(

lundwall_paul

Re: Footprints - Things I've seen so far
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 03:32:19 AM »
I agree the history page is useless. Can't edit and the data gets skewed.

Dragon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
I fixed a slow Footprints UI by disabling Avast antivirus firewall.

Details: I had a problem where the Footprints UI got incredibly slow to the point I tried to pull up a graph and it might appear 10+ minutes later.  Many browsers seemed unable to pull up the UI at all, just loading a white screen forever.  I cleared the browser's entire history (all checkboxes), restarted, and same problem.  I noticed after doing that the graphics for the UI tabs and stuff were loading slowly (since they were no longer cached), taking at least a minute before they all loaded.  That's a clear sign of a slow network.

I tried accessing it from another computer (OS X instead of Windows) and it loaded and responded quickly.  That made me think of the antivirus, and "disable all shields" for 10 minutes fixed it.  The two browsers stuck on white screen loaded and worked quickly, and the slow browser worked quickly.

I haven't been able to find any settings in the firewall that can make it fast without disabling the firewall.  Adding TED's IP as a URL to exclude doesn't fix it.  The firewall doesn't show any connections to the IP when it's trying to do things with it.  If anyone has any ideas, let me know.  This was not always a problem.  When I got TED in late Nov 2016, it was fast with Avast, but I guess an Avast update killed it.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »
Hi Dragon, you where obviously right to suspect the antivirus as the issue. It affects AVG and Avast users as with there last update they have the online shield component blocking all local javascript which based on a little research on the avast forums and comments from some users of the TED system it has also affected some security system interfaces and IoT devices. They are trying to resolve it by releasing patches but far as I know there hasn't been much luck as of yet. I've done a little testing with AVG settings and the exceptions and was unable to find any individual settings that affect it but I did find that if you disable just the Online Shield component then it will resolve the issue.   

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com