Author Topic: solar without net metering  (Read 3020 times)

mong.steven

solar without net metering
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
My electric providerer only pays me .053/ kwh for what I send back to the grid and I don't see that I can reflect that in the utility settings.  Am I missing something?
I have a TED Pro Home that I'm using to help decide if adding more solar makes economic sense or wait till batteries come down in price

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: solar without net metering
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:20:15 AM »
My electric providerer only pays me .053/ kwh for what I send back to the grid and I don't see that I can reflect that in the utility settings.  Am I missing something?
I have a TED Pro Home that I'm using to help decide if adding more solar makes economic sense or wait till batteries come down in price

You are not missing anything. You will need to download the data and play with it in a spreadsheet.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

mong.steven

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:11:43 AM »
Thanks for responding.  I wonder if they plan on addressing this in future updates. I don't think it's all that uncommon

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 11:08:06 PM »
Thanks for responding.  I wonder if they plan on addressing this in future updates. I don't think it's all that uncommon

There are lots of features that would be 'nice to have' for small groups of users. In particular, there are quite a few 'flavors' of Net Metering. The TED folks are trying to produce something that works for the majority within the constraints imposed by the capacity of the hardware and the time of their programmers, and I don't think they do a bad job. If you need to do things that Footprints doesn't do natively, they make it pretty easy to download the underlying data so that you can work with it.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

mong.steven

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:33:45 AM »
Yes but.  It seems to me that a whole lot of the footprints software is to tell us dollars we are spending or saving.  Yes, I can figure out what I need to know but a big part of the footprints job is cost analysis which is moot when it assumes full net metering.   I hope someday they can address that, that's all.

BigWaveDragon

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
I second that!!!

All of LA DWP (Los Angeles Department of Water and Power) does this and there is a lot of solar down here. That is more than just a small niche market.

If TED want's more market share, this is a good add-on.

BTW - LA DWP charges has a line item "State Energy Surcharge  [Used] kWh x $0.00029/kWh" yet Footprints cannot except that many decimal places. Again, not a big number/deal, but given it's a California State charge, that seems to effect a large potential user base, too. Getting back to that accuracy number thing. If the tool is missing many of these (two so far for me), then the tool gets more inaccurate with every missing piece. We are just asking for these to get on a list to be possibly added in the future, instead of being shot down without a chance for consideration.

jfpetesn

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 12:28:58 AM »
It would be nice to have more features but I have to agree with pfletch, TED is meant to accurately measure and capture your energy usage and production.  Anything more is up to the end user.  If you want more than that you will have to pony up some big bucks to get it.  

I capture my TED data daily and import it into a spreadsheet so that I can work with the data the way I wish.  I have several different spreadsheets that each gives me different data so that I can work with the numbers in a faster and more accurate way.  It also gives me a backup of my data so that I can go back and get it.  Another benefit of exporting your daily data is you have it in case your TED history takes a dive which it has been known to do from time to time. I can think of many things I would like to include in TED for my purposes but wouldn't mean much to anyone else.  Importing into spreadsheets also allows you to share your data if you wish as almost everyone has access to Excel.  I have been successful in changing some of the rules with my power provider regarding solar because I had complete and detailed spreadsheets that I provided them.

Mong: I installed enough solar for approx 90% of my usage as it did not make much financial sense to install and export excess power with rates as low as they are.  The real future will be to self store your excess daily production for use at night but from my research, there is not financially viable way to do this right now.  Maybe 3-5 years we will see some stuff hit the market.  They are using some of this home storage technology in Europe but it has a way to go.  I was looking into self storing about 20-30 kWh and it was very expensive ($20-30K).  when this happens, it will allow us to store our excess production and use it at night.  That way you won't be subject to them buying it at wholesale then selling you your own power at retail.

One other thing, TED's clientele are not primarily solar owners.  Most of their customers are simply residential customers that want to keep an eye on their power usage.  Solar owners are a very small number of their customers.  I'm just glad they offer the solution they do to allow me to monitor my energy production and usage.  Nothing else out there that comes close to doing what TED does in their price range.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:34:34 AM by jfpetesn »

mong.steven

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
Yes.  Affordable batteries will be a game changer.  I plan on speaking to our local L&P board and urge them to consider paying us more so that we don't consider adding batteries when they do become an option.  I think it's better for the grid to handle the storage when the suns not shining.  Currently I pay @ .14/kwh and receive .053 for my excess.  Ted  makes it quite clear that adding batteries will be a better option than more panels in the near future.

jjjetboat

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »
I'm really hoping Tesla Powerwall is the battery we need. http://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall It should be available very soon and could really improve the use of solar. That is if it lives up to the hype.