Author Topic: planning a new TED Pro Home system  (Read 2001 times)

at

planning a new TED Pro Home system
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »
Hi, I'm looking to install a new TED Pro Home system and have a couple of questions.  My installation is a bit unusual.  400 amp service from the city which is split into 2 separate 200amp breakers.  One of the 200A breakers feeds a main panel, the other 200A breaker feeds another large panel.  The first main panel is basically distribution for several other subpanels and is also where grid-tied PV solar comes in.  I figure I need an MTU on each 200A breaker and on the PV generation.  It looks like the TED Footprints software can be correctly configured to properly account for all the usage and net flow back to the grid.  Questions:

- the second 200A panel is in a different location from it's main breaker.  If I install the MTU at that panel and wire the MTU into one of the breakers in that box will the PLC work between all of the other MTUs and ECC?  I could install the MTU at the main power source (where the actual breaker is) but then I wouldn't be able to plug in a Spyder to monitor any individual circuits.

- is there a way to monitor circuits on the other panels?  Presumably I can put an MTU in each panel and use Spyders throughout, but the ECC only supports 4 MTUs and I have 7 total subpanels!  Is there a way to aggregate multiple ECCs?  [Looks like not].

- does the PLC in general work it's way around all the breakers?  Since the main panel is basically just feeding subpanels there is no clear connection between the MTU power and the ECC power.  There will be many breakers between as well as likely phase differences.

I'm attaching a picture of the main panel with the 2 separate 200amp breakers.  The breaker on the left feeds a bunch of subpanels (their breakers are below) and the breaker on the right feeds another panel in a different location.

mong.steven

Re: planning a new TED Pro Home system
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:20:49 AM »
I'll make a stab at this. Interesting setup. from what I understand the most accurate readings are with the mtus' and not spyders so you would need 3 mtus for your mains and the solar then a spyder could read each line out to the subpanels from the breaker on the left  to save some money you could skip the mtu on the right breaker and read all the circuits with the spyder instead.I'm not sure what the distance limitations are but if the other subpanels aren't to far away you should be able to wire more spyders to the mtu at the main panel.  Hope this helps  One more thing from what I understand is that the solar needs to use a mtu not a spyder

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:44:50 AM »
I'm not sure what the distance limitations are but if the other subpanels aren't to far away you should be able to wire more spyders to the mtu at the main panel. 

The Spyder leads are sized to reach from the bottom to the top of a full-size panel enclosure, with a bit of margin for draping, but even if the secondary panel is directly adjacent to the primary one, I don't think Code will let you do this, since you would have to take the low-voltage wiring from/to the Spyder outside the main panel enclosure to get it to the secondary panel. At the very least, you would have to run it through solid conduit, and code certainly won't let you run low-voltage wiring through the existing conduit that is supplying power to the secondary panel.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

at

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 02:55:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Although it wasn't well stated my primary question was whether or not the PLC would work through the patchwork of subpanels.  So, I bought a Pro Home and tried it and it works perfectly.  I have it monitoring the solar for now.  Just ordered a spyder and more MTUs to complete the installation.  One surprising issue is the 200amp CT's did not fit around one of my sets of mains.  I ordered some 400amp CTs as those should fit and can reuse the 200amp CTs on the spyder.