Author Topic: Bare MTU or MTU with smaller CTs  (Read 1983 times)

falcon

Bare MTU or MTU with smaller CTs
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
I'm looking to get a Ted Pro Home system with two MTUs for measuring my usage and my PV generation capabilities, but having 200A CTs when my PV system won't output more than 32A seems a little excessive, and could possibly have lower accuracy. I'm wondering why the MTU isn't sold separately with the ability to choose what CTs you want (in my case, the 60A ones). It would also be cheaper, given that 60A CTs are $10 each and 200A split core CTs are $25 each.

I almost wish that TED would make a Pro unit specifically for load + generation applications that contained 4 CT plugs on the main MTU with 1 second accuracy. With the explosion of PV installations it would be a good strategy to offer an all-in-one solution for that.

Support 4

Re: Bare MTU or MTU with smaller CTs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »
The MTU was designed for the 200amp Ct's or larger 400amp Ct's.  The 60 amp and 20 amp's are for use with the Spyder.

Here is a link to the CT's information
http://www.theenergydetective.com/prohomestore.html#access

While that is not a bad idea, it would not allow flexibility for other types of installs. Some people can't monitor Consumption and  Production from the same panel.

falcon

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 06:10:14 AM »
Fair enough. What's the minimum threshold on the 200A CTs that hook to the MTU? I know on the Spyder it's 200W, but my panels are still producing power until it's down to about 50W.

Support 4

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
The MTU minimum is 1 watt  ;)