Author Topic: Spyders  (Read 2797 times)

benjatelcom

Spyders
« on: April 05, 2015, 11:26:27 PM »
Greetings all,

Been mostly happy with my TED-5000, wish it got some update/ehancements/refreshes but it is working well.

I am considering upgrading to a TED-Pro Home. I have two 200A panels in parallel with my service entrance. One in the detached garage where the power meter and service is located, and one in the house. It is in this garage location that I currently have three TED-5000 MTUs, one to monitor the garage panel, one to monitor the 200A feeder cables going to the house, and one to monitor solar generation as a branch circuit. The gateway is located a few feet away from the garage panel on the same branch circuit that the MTUs are all connected to.

I would like to use TED Pro to have an MTU and a spyder in each of my two panels:

I could hope that the new stronger PLC signal can traverse the 3/0 60 foot cable runs between the garage and house.
I could go super expensive and get two Pro MTUs, one in each panel supporting a spyder with Ethernet and LAN them together (LAN already exists).
I could use TED5000 for the garage and TED Pro Home for the house.

Thoughts? TED support thinks the Pro Home PLC signal is good enough to do this with now.

jfpetesn

Re: Spyders
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »
I think the Pro home will work might have to make sure the ECC and the MTU's are on the same phase.  I would probably put the the ECC in the garage (provided that you have LAN in the garage) with the Solar MTUand the garage panel MTU/spyder then put the 3rd MTU/spyder in the house box.  I think the PLC will work fine but you might have to play around with the phase you use to power the ECC.

Personally I (having a Pro home, 2 MTU's and solar myself with one spyder) the necessity of having 2 spyders.  They are nice to run down usage and keep track of larger loads but they are not as accurate as the MTU's and I don't think you can rely on them for truely accurate data.  They are close but not nearly as accurate as the MTU's.  I find them useful to get an idea of the usage for my geothermal and pool but after a few months of watching them I only look at that data once a month or so.  I check my Solar generationa and Loads daily.  Just my opinion.

Piedmont

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
Just be aware as mentioned the Spyder's aren't that accurate, I contacted tech support about it.  I have 2 spyders, and I was wondering why does my MTU say my current usage is $0.08/hr but when I add up all the legs of my spyders they're adding up to $0.22/hr ???

I noticed in particular, that some legs were always recording 0.054kW when I couldn't figure out what could be using any electricity on those circuits.  I then shut off the breakers and they were still recording 0.54kW on those circuits.  I then shut off all my breakers except the single one that runs the MTU, and what I found out was 4 out of 8 legs of one spyder wouldn't 0 and 2 of 8 legs of my other spyder wouldn't zero.  I contacted Tech support and the said they're working on the issue with a firmware or software update.  So I'm hoping and waiting... right now I have the 10 good spyder legs monitoring the most important things and I'm ignoring the 6 other lines which can't zero until the update but that's 6 legs that in total are adding up to 300 watts being used 24/7.  Want you to be aware before purchasing a spyder.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:13:04 PM by Piedmont »

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:26:56 PM »
Just be aware as mentioned the Spyder's aren't that accurate, I contacted tech support about it.  I have 2 spyders, and I was wondering why does my MTU say my current usage is $0.08/hr but when I add up all the legs of my spyders they're adding up to $0.22/hr ???

I noticed in particular, that some legs were always recording 0.054kW when I couldn't figure out what could be using any electricity on those circuits.  I then shut off the breakers and they were still recording 0.54kW on those circuits.  I then shut off all my breakers except the single one that runs the MTU, and what I found out was 4 out of 6 legs of one spyder wouldn't 0 and 2 of 6 legs of my other spyder wouldn't zero.  I contacted Tech support and the said they're working on the issue with a firmware or software update.  So I'm hoping and waiting... right now I have the 10 good spyder legs monitoring the most important things and I'm ignoring the 6 other lines which can't zero until the update but that's 6 legs that in total are adding up to 300 watts being used 24/7.  Want you to be aware before purchasing a spyder.

What rating are the current transformers on the legs that aren't zeroing? I have a relatively early Spyder set, when the only option was 60 A CTs, and they all zero correctly. The only problem with them is the documented resolution limitation on the low end - anything below 200W reads as zero.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

jfpetesn

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
I don't think I would be in any hurry for a firmware upgrade!!  If that is your only issue then I would leave it alone.  I was sent an upgrade (MTU, ECC, & Footprints) a few months ago and then another footprints update last month for some minor issues that were corrected and that is when all my headaches began.  Started seeing erroneous data writes, footprints would just zero out mid month, and my MTU skip counts went from .002 to .024.  Tech support worked hard to try and resolve it but at the end of the day I lost all my data and was forced to replace everything.  Fortunately it was warrantied out but it was a lot of time and effort to remove everything, install a new TED as well as my lost data.  Really sucked!!  Hats off to Bob and tech support.  He worked hard to get it working and save my data.  New system in for 2 days now and all looking great.  It is just a hassle to put a new system in and get it recalibrated to match my inverter and utility meter.  Oh well crossing my fingers.

Piedmont

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »
I have three 60A legs, and thirteen 20A legs.  I determined it to be the Spyder ports themselves.  I swapped the sensors between a port that can zero and one that can't, and the same port was still showing 0.054kW.  I sure wish it were the sensors!  

You make a good point, the three 60A legs do zero.  I wonder... if I swap the 60A ones on the ports that can't zero will they zero afterward and possibly the ports the 60A ones were on can zero with the 20A.  That would possibly make it so 3 ports are inaccurate instead of 6.  Heck, I could even use a 60A sensor on my kitchen outlets since most things that you plug into the kitchen draw 200w+ and have just 2 ports be inaccurate if that the case.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:15:13 PM by Piedmont »