Author Topic: TED Pro Home System (How many MTUs needed)  (Read 1999 times)

tiqz

TED Pro Home System (How many MTUs needed)
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
I have just recently purchased a TED Pro Home System and am interested in purchasing the Spyder accessories. My panel consist of 21 (20 amp breakers) and 2 (50 amp breakers). I am aware that each spyder unit comes with 8 cts, so i am assuming i will need to order about 3 to fully monitor my entire panel. The 3 that i am currently looking at are the TED Spyder 20 (two of them) and the TED Spyder Pop with i will need so i can get those 2 60amp donut CTs... no need for the 200amp ones since it came with those already... but didnt see any other option really, a better recommendation will be appreciated if possible.

What i am mostly confused about though is the MTU... can that one MTU that came with the TED Pro Home system accommodate all three spyder accessories? Any help will be really appreciated, if i dont require purchasing all 3 spyder accessories to fully monitor my panel then that will be awesome also ;D

I have included some pictures of my panel, not an electrician...so hopefully this will be everything that's needed to better assist me.

http://s15.postimg.org/ii7hp4xu3/Attach1.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/kqlo6h4y3/Attach2.jpg

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: TED Pro Home System (How many MTUs needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:07:55 PM »
The first question to ask is whether you really need continuously to monitor every breaker, and, if so, why! I have a decent size house and a breaker panel about the size of yours, but I only use my Spyder to monitor the heavy power using circuits (HVAC, Laundry, Ovens, Kitchen). Bear in mind that the Spyder channels 'bottom out' and read zero at a current flow/power consumption level that is dependent on the rating of the Spyder (about 1% of full scale for the 20A and 200A CTs, and about 2.5% for the 60A CT), so you will get virtually meaningless results if you monitor circuits where the power flux frequently drops below this level, but not to zero. You can always run some preliminary studies, moving the CTs around every few days over the course of a month or so, to see where you might want longer term monitoring.

In any event, a single MTU will only support two Spyders, so you would need a second MTU as well if you seriously wanted to monitor all 21 circuits.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

tiqz

Re: TED Pro Home System (How many MTUs needed)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
Yes i agree with you... after posting the message I did do some more research and noticed a single mtu can handle 2 spyders and i did reconsider my initial plan of monitoring every circuit and decided two spyders will be just fine. So i went ahead and purchased a Spyder 20 and a Spyder Mix. Thanks for assisting  ;D