Author Topic: Ted Spyder with solar  (Read 2777 times)

mp1

Ted Spyder with solar
« on: November 23, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »
I will be purchasing the TED Pro Home and the TED Pro Spyder. I have also solar system. Do I need to also purchase a second MTU for monitoring the solar production or will the TED Pro Spyder handle it instead? If so, would there be any difference between using the TED Pro Spyder versus second MTU, for the solar production monitoring / reporting?

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Ted Spyder with solar
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »
For PV solar you need a second main MTU set. Spyder MTUs assume that they are looking at unidirectional flow and that it represents load rather than production. They also have significantly limited low-end resolution - currents below certain limits (depending on the rating of the current sensor) are reported as zero.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

drpulis

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »
I have a setup exactly as your are doing.  My circuit breaker is different of course, but I am attaching the diagram setup for Main Panel with Solar.  TED Support assisted me with this and the chart reflects their recommendations.  Hope that gives you some helpful information.

BTW, my solar was 240V, as most are, so I used w Spyder legs as the chart shows.  It is working great!  I used the Spyder - Pop, plus another Spyder 20 so that I could connect more circuits.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:21:39 PM by drpulis »
Started Installation/upgrade to TED Pro Home:  Nov 2014

MTU1, NET, with 2 Spyders, Entire Main Panel
  MTU2, Generation
  MTU3, with 2 Spyders, Entire Sub Panel in Main House
  MTU4, 1 Spyder, Separate Cottage and Home Office

RussellH

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
I have a setup exactly as your are doing.  My circuit breaker is different of course, but I am attaching the diagram setup for Main Panel with Solar.  TED Support assisted me with this and the chart reflects their recommendations.

I'm a little concerned about the right side notation.  On the panels I'm aware of, adjacent breakers are on opposite phases.  So it put them all one CT, one would have to run the wires for MSTR BR AND HALL and BDROOM1&2 through the CT in the opposite direction from the other breakers.  If you use two CTs, then I'd pair MSTR BR AND BATH and HEAT/VENT/LIGHT on one and MSTR BR AND HALL and BDROOM1&2 on the other.

Otherwise the currents will not add properly.