Author Topic: Can TED Pro System Cause any Power Issues/Loss of Circuit?  (Read 2267 times)

LakeHome

Can TED Pro System Cause any Power Issues/Loss of Circuit?
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:26:55 AM »
I have had a new TED System up for almost three weeks, which includes 2 MTU's and 3 Spyders (20 Circuits) over a Main Panel/Sub-Panel and a Geothermal/AUX Panel.  Since the installation was installed on October 8th, I am having issues with a Master Suite Lighting Circuit losing power, without actually Tripping the GFCI Breaker at the Panel.

This Circuit/Breaker does not have a Spyder connected to it.  Other than wiring the MTU's into the Panels and two other minor adjustments were made to the system by my electrician that same day, but none of these changes affected the Master Suite Lighting Circuit.

I have a message into my electrician, but wanted to get some feedback as to whether TED components could cause such an outage?

Thanks

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Can TED Pro System Cause any Power Issues/Loss of Circuit?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 05:24:39 PM »
There is almost no way in which installing your TED could have directly affected the reliability of one circuit in your house. My guess is that either the relevant breaker or the circuit connection to it was disturbed during the work and there is now a flaky connection. I would (after turning off the main breaker!) unseat and reseat the branch breaker and retighten the live and return connections to it.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

LakeHome

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 04:54:37 AM »
Peter:

My apologies for the delay in responding back.  You were correct in your assumption that wiring connections became loose and disturbed when the 2 MTU's and 16 Spyders were wired-in.

Everything is working good, except for some power summation and reconciliation issues between the MTU's and Spyders, but I am going to read the past posts on the subject and reset for the next billing period.  If that doesn't work, I'll log a support ticket.

Regards,

Glen

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:09:02 AM »
Peter:

My apologies for the delay in responding back.  You were correct in your assumption that wiring connections became loose and disturbed when the 2 MTU's and 16 Spyders were wired-in.

No problem - I'm glad that my simple explanation was correct.

Everything is working good, except for some power summation and reconciliation issues between the MTU's and Spyders, but I am going to read the past posts on the subject and reset for the next billing period.  If that doesn't work, I'll log a support ticket.

Be aware that the Spyders have some real limitations. In particular, currents representing power fluxes of less than 50-60 W are treated as zero, so it is pointless to put a Spyder current transducer on a circuit where the power flux is likely to be below this value (but not zero!) for a significant proportion of the time.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits