Author Topic: I do not see my AC  (Read 3482 times)

Bogey123$

I do not see my AC
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »
I installed my TED Pro Home 2 weeks ago and I am still learning about it but to date I have not been able to read AC usage. Thae same panel that provides the rest of my home also supplies power to my AC/Air Handler. I also installed a Spyder and the same thing applies. All of my other loads register and add up except for my AC.
Thanks

RussellH

Re: I do not see my AC
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »
I would double check your installation.  Check which wires you have the clamps around.  In particular, I think you should check which direction the clamps are placed.  If you have one backwards, then the TED won't "see" 240V loads.

While the usual advice is to make sure the "dots" face the same way, that depends on just where you've been able to put the clamps.  The dots need to face the same way as the current flows though the wire.  If the wire takes a U turn and you've put the clamps on different parts of the "u", then they may need to face opposite directions.

Bogey123$

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 08:00:05 AM »
I attached a pic of my installation. Both dots are pointed up (toward the utility.)
The MTU link has two LED's the top one blinks red and the bottom one is solid green.
At the bottom of my stats page it states my last MTU ID 000000.
It seems to me that my MTU is not communicating properly with the ECC.
My MTU is powered by the same circuit that supplies power to the ECC and it has its own outlet.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
Hello Bogey123$,

Can you supply a screenshot of your stats page for review? You will want to submit it in a ticket to

http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket

PLease be sure to completely fill out the ticket before submitting it.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

Bogey123$

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
Attached is a most recent snapshot of my stats page.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
Bogey123$,

Thank you for the screenshot. Your PLC looks fine with 141446 received packets versus 2207 lost or skipped packets, so the issue is not communication.

To clarify, when your AC comes on, you see no changes on the Dashboard or on the Spyder Tab?

Can you please submit a screenshot of your Spyder Settings Page and Spyder Tab for review? It will also be easier to communicate if you submit a ticket, as I do not get notifications when a new forum post is added.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support
Support7

Bogey123$

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 07:08:19 AM »
Good Day,

That is correct. Everything else including the oven/stove (which is also a 240V load) registers on my dashboard. I have attached a screenshot of my Spyder settings and a screenshot of my Spyder Tab. When I took these screenshots the AC was on and my refriferator was running. Additionally on a side note I'm not sure why my Dishwasher, Washer, and Micro all read .011kW.

Bogey123$

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 07:10:18 AM »
Attached is my Spyder Tab screenshot.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
Bogey123$,

If you do not see your AC usage being reported on the Real Time Usage dial, then I would re check your connections and make absolutely sure your CTs are in the right place. The 20 amp CTs may display a minimal value when reading 0. We are working on a build that zeros out these erroneous minimal readings.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:17:14 PM by Support7 »

RussellH

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:10:32 PM »
You might want to make sure the two CTs have closed completely.  If there is a gap, the current measurement on that leg will be very low.

jfpetesn

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »
You may need to check which circuit you have your spyder CT coil on for the AC.  From your picture, I only see 7 spyder coils but none of the 7 I can see looks like big enough wire for an AC unit.  Also if you have a geo or a newer heatpump many times they have 2-3 different circuit breakers in your panel so I would check that.  I have a geothermal and I have 3 different 220V breakers that feed it.  One for the compressor, and two for the backup heatstrips.

Bogey123$

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 06:21:15 AM »
I used a Fluke Clamp-on Meter on the wires that my panel "says" is my AC and there is no reading on that either. It looks like I need to buy another MTU and CT set and while I'm at it I guess I will get two one for the AC (outdoors) and one for my PV Solar install. Thanks for the help.