Author Topic: TED Home Pro vs TED 5000  (Read 10286 times)

lundwall_paul

TED Home Pro vs TED 5000
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:30 AM »
I am a TED 5000 user Is there a list or table available that compares the Home pro to the TED 5000?  I am thinking about getting the newer model.

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: TED Home Pro vs TED 5000
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:12:32 AM »
http://www.theenergydetective.com/compare covers most of the differences. From my experience, the improved Power Line Communication is real and significant, and the graphing improvements are also real, though not earth-shattering. One nice feature in the Pro is that the graph display defaults to whatever you were looking at last, rather than to the (IMHO) useless short period of second view that is the default in the 5000.

I was a bit disappointed in one aspect of the Spyder functionality - the current sensors are set up to treat anything less than the equivalent of a power flux of 50-60 W as zero, so you can't use them to track long-term, low-level, power usage.

Also (at least for me) the remote display doesn't work as well, only updating every 5-10 minutes.

Other than supporting the Spyder, the new Footprints is quite similar to the TED5000 Footprints, but it does not display or record min and max power or voltage values by day or month, which some people might regret.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits