Author Topic: PLC difference between 5000 and Pro?  (Read 2532 times)

Nutsy

PLC difference between 5000 and Pro?
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:11:59 AM »
How different is the power line communication format/system in the new Pro series?  What's the likelihood that devices which completely block 5000 communications will not interfere with a Pro?

Background
I've been using various versions of TED for years, but have stumbled on a problem in my new condo...

After getting everything lined up on the right phases, and my 5000 reliably working with a filter for one troublesome device.... Installation of several 220v appliances today seems to be "bridging" noise across both phases.  I now have too many interference sources to economically use filters, and the inline circuit filter is beyond the scope of what I'd like to be doing.

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: PLC difference between 5000 and Pro?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:51:54 AM »
PLC is definitely more reliable in the Pro, but it may not be enough to solve your problem. I had occasional substantial apparently PLC-related glitches with my 5000, but it worked well 98% of the time. My Pro Home, with the corresponding components installed in exactly the same places, seems to be 100% solid (touches wood). I haven't tried putting the Pro ECC on any of the circuits on which the 5000 gateway wouldn't work because of interference.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits