Author Topic: Stand-By Generator Support  (Read 4026 times)

TED_User

Stand-By Generator Support
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »
I have an automatic stand-by generator connected to a transfer switch in my home.  When the local power fails, the stand-by generator automatically kicks on.  I'm thinking of purchasing the TED Pro Home with two MTUs.  One MTU would monitor the current coming in from the power company and the other would monitor the current coming in from the stand-by generator.

I'd like to be able to generate an email or text alert whenever the main power drops off line and the generator kicks on.  Could I do this with the existing TED Pro software, and how would I set up the alerts? 

What I would LIKE to do is have MTU #2 connected to the stand-by generator line in, which is normally zero volts, and set up an alert that signals me when the voltage goes above a certain threshold, say 50 volts.  Here's the problem, though, since the stand-by generator is normally producing zero volts, MTU #2 would be off line until the generator kicks on, so would this work?  Would MTU #2 turn on and then detect the voltage level > 50 volts, and then alert me, or does it already need to be running in order for the alerts to work?  Would anyone who owns a new TED Pro Home know the answer to this?

Thanks

Support7

• Administrator
Re: Stand-By Generator Support
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »
Hello TED_User,

The TED Advisor function of the Footprints software can send you an e-mail notification when your voltage crosses a threshold. The MTU should not be powered from a source that is not stable. You don't have to power the MTU monitoring the Generator with the Generator, you can power it from the panel and circuit that is powering your other MTU.
Attached is a screenshot of the TED Advisor page for reference.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 10:55:54 PM by Support7 »

TED_User

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:01:36 AM »
If I were to power MTU #2 from the same source as the other MTU, how would it be able to measure the voltage from the generator and detect when it kicks on?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:08:59 AM »
Hello TED_User,

Ah, I see, so the value of the voltage being generated is an important data point to you as well. I thought you just wanted to know when the generator came on, not also how much it was generating. My apologies. You would see when it came on from the CTs measuring current flow, but you are correct, you could not accurately measure the voltage the generator was producing.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

TED_User

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 04:09:52 AM »
I don't really need to know the generator voltage, I just want an email or text notification when it turns on.  Setting a voltage alert is one way, but wouldn't that require the MTU to be powered by the generator voltage source?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:44:39 PM »
Hello TED_User

After reading all your posts, I've realized you won't be able to do what you want with our system. Since the MTU2 would be off most of the time, you would have to set it to Stand Alone or it would skew your overall readings. Since it's not being added to the NET, the TED Advisor software would also not recognize it, and no alert would be generated.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

RussellH

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:25:29 PM »
I'd like to be able to generate an email or text alert whenever the main power drops off line and the generator kicks on.
Are you sure your ISP will be working?  Some providers, usually cable, will go down when local power fails.

TED_User

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:36:33 PM »
My ISP normally remains online for the more localized power failures.

Here's an option to consider:  My breaker panel and transfer switch are 2 feet from my router, and the router is powered by a UPS so it always remains online.  What if I hardwired the hot and neutral wires from the two MTUs and the ECC together in the same junction box, and then ran a power cord from that junction box to the UPS.  That way all systems would always have power, and the power comes from the same source.  Would the PLC would work in this situation where they're hardwired together, even though it's running from a UPS?

Then, I could set up MTU #2 (which senses current on the power lines from the stand-by generator) so it would alert me when the 10-minute average exceeded some value, like zero.

Would this work?

How long would it take for the 10-minute average to go above zero under a normal load?  I'm guessing it's recalculated once per minute, so it should be fairly quick, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take the full 10 minutes.

nbhms

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
With our generator setup, we use a "meter breaker" panel.  This is a panel that replaces the current meter box on the outside of the house.  Main power from the power company comes in the top, the generator plugs in the bottom.  There is then a mechanical switch for choosing whether to run your house from generator or powerline (I prefer manual, but you can purchase versions that are automatic, I believe).  This means I pick and choose what in the house is running off the generator using the house's normal power panel.

An additional benefit from this is that my same TED MTU/Gateway monitors our usage both on main power and from generator.  In your case, that should allow for alerting regarding power switch via an alert that the TED rebooted?  Not sure on that part.

We use a Honda EU6500iS and have had no issues running the TED5000 with power supplied from it.