Author Topic: Does the TEd Home Pro play nice with Insteon?  (Read 5737 times)

scyto

Does the TEd Home Pro play nice with Insteon?
« on: May 01, 2014, 01:31:42 AM »
I have seem some claims that there are interference issues between TED and Insteon that causes Insteon devices to turn on and off at odd times etc, specifically the person said:

• "because the TED1000 and TED5000 both use a Power Line Signal of 132KHz at the AC Zero Crossing. I believe every second a message is sent. Insteon is close at 131.65KHz at 800us before Zero Crossing.  TED clobbers an X10 signal and I believe some have also reported problems with Insteon"

I am not using X10 - just Insteon dual band devices.  Does anyone know if this is an issue with the TED Home Pro?

Support7

• Administrator
Re: Does the TEd Home Pro play nice with Insteon?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »
Hello scyto,

In a heavy X-10 environment we have seen packet collision. Less than in our TED 5000 systems, but still there. Filters seem to handle the issue if it's possible to filter the TED system from the rest of the panel, or the X-10 device(s) from the TED System. The problem is that X-10, Insteon and Enphase all use PLC that doesn't look for other traffic on the PLC line or if it does, it only looks for X-10, Insteon, or Enphase traffic respectively. Our system attempts to wait for a clean line before sending a data packet, but that doesn't matter if another system is "blindly" sending data packets as well, as we can't predict when another system will send data.

If your installation has a lot of other PLC communicating devices, a filter may or may not help. A solution would be to upgrade to the TED Pro Commercial system and use TCP instead of PLC. An expensive solution, certainly, but a guaranteed one. Hopefully one of our customers using Enphase or Insteon can chime in with additional information about their installation and PLC.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:04:23 AM by Support7 »

gregoryx

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »
Given the trouble I've had getting / keeping my Insteon stuff talking, I'm guessing I'll be out of luck with TED PLC. So... will the TED Pro Lite do the job for a basic residential environment - but without PLC communication?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »
Good Morning gregoryx,

Only the TED Pro Commercial systems (TED Pro 400 and up) support ethernet communication. You can find specs and details about the system at:

http://www.theenergydetective.com/comfaq

and

http://www.theenergydetective.com/downloads/TEDProCommercialSpecifications.pdf

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:09:40 PM by Support7 »

sgpdude

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:16:52 PM »
I'm running a TED Pro Home system together with X10 and an Enphase Envoy that all use PLC.  The TED system worked fine but clobbered the other two.  I managed to get the Pro home system to play nice by isolating it on a separate circuit with an in-line filter.  It seems to be working fine for the last week or so since I installed it.

santhony

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »
I'be been running my TED Pro Home now for several weeks, with my insteon system... No problems at all..    I even have them on the same circuit breaker....   :)

Is anyone else experiencing anything different?

roadrutz

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:58:34 AM »
I'be been running my TED Pro Home now for several weeks, with my insteon system... No problems at all..    I even have them on the same circuit breaker....   :)

Is anyone else experiencing anything different?

How many Insteon devices do you have?  And what do you mean by you "have them on the same circuit breaker"?  Do you mean you have just one Insteon plug-in device on the same breaker as the TED sending unit?  I have over 60 Insteon devices -- switches, dimmers, door sensors, etc. -- controlled by an ISY 994i and I'm concerned about whether TED Pro Home power line signals will collide with Insteon's.

Kevin

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 02:26:17 PM »
I'be been running my TED Pro Home now for several weeks, with my insteon system... No problems at all..    I even have them on the same circuit breaker....   :)    Is anyone else experiencing anything different?
X10 devices were reacting very badly to PLC communications from TED, where several X10 lamps would turn on randomly.   So I gave away all my powerline X10 devices.

With Insteon, I see some signal loss (e.g. missed on/off commands), I seem to have additional unreliability that I didn't have before TED, but only "lost" commands, none of the "false on" problems I had with X10.

OTOH, if I was planning on a new deployment today, I would probably go with Z-Wave instead of PLC, making the problem moot.
Gateway Version 1.0.499, Daughterboard Version 1.0.0, Footprints Version 1.0.281, MTU Version 1.0.61