Author Topic: I am new to energy monitoring, need advice....  (Read 4408 times)

scyto

I am new to energy monitoring, need advice....
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
Hi All,
I just discovered TED.  I was in the middle of researching a Brultech GEM but due to a number issues started to look for other options.  The TED Home Pro looks like a super product.

• I know that with 2 MTU's and 4 Spyders I can monitor 32 circuits.  I have ~37 circuits in my box.  Is it possible to aggregate circuits in some way.  For example having multiple CT's on a single spyder channel?
  • Is there any chance that the Home Pro can be upgraded to work with 3 MTUs?  Is it a physical restriction or just a software / firmware restriction?
  • If you have any more advice to offer I will greatly appreciate it!

Support7

• Administrator
Re: I am new to energy monitoring, need advice....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
Hello scyto,

Thanks for your question! The TED Pro systems can have a maximum of 4 MTUs and 4 spyders.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

scyto

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:07 AM »
Hello scyto,

Thanks for your question! The TED Pro systems can have a maximum of 4 MTUs and 4 spyders.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

Thanks for the reply.  I understand what is supported today.  I am trying to understand the capacity of the system for growth and whether there is a workaround.

In terms of workaround is there anyway to double up on the spyder channel (for example wire two or three CTs to a single pair of pins on the side of the spyder to aggregate two or three circuits) - this can be done on the GEM and is a way to ensure that all circuits in a panel can be monitored.

Alternatively I see the MTU is a Ethernet device that talks to the ECC via Ethernet?  If this is the case there seems to be no physical limitation to have an additional 3rd MTU and connecting that to the ECC to do an additional 4 or 8 channels.  It would seem like it is a software limitation that could be fixed?

I am asking because without either a workaround or potential for future expansion I expect I will have to go with the alternate solution.

regards
alex
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:15:13 AM by scyto »

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:04:18 AM »

Alternatively I see the MTU is a Ethernet device that talks to the ECC via Ethernet?  If this is the case there seems to be no physical limitation to have an additional 3rd MTU and connecting that to the ECC to do an additional 4 or 8 channels.  It would seem like it is a software limitation that could be fixed?

The MTU communicates with the ECC using Power Line Communications (think X-10), not Ethernet or WiFi. This has a number of consequences, including limits on the number of MTUs that you can have. The Pro's implementation of this is claimed to be (and seems to be) more sturdy that that for the TED5000 - see that support board - but PLC does have limitations, especially in electrically noisy environments.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

scyto

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 06:30:07 AM »
Ah I see, I confused the MTU and MTU Pro.  Would using MTU pro solve the issue for me?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 05:35:40 PM »
Hello scyto,

We have harnesses that can aggregate up to three CTs into one Spyder input. We offer additional CT sets (snap on style) in our online store, or you could buy another Spyder set. We do not offer the Spyder CTs separately from the set. The TED Pro Commercial system uses larger MTUs that have ethernet capability. The maximum number of MTUs and Spyders is the same, however, we also have harnesses for these MTUs as well, that can be used to aggregate CT inputs. The downside of aggregation is the loss of granularity, as there is no way to separate the data by CTs when they are on a harness.

I hope this better answers your questions, and I apologize for not understanding your question earlier.

TED Forum Support

scyto

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:54:36 AM »
We have harnesses that can aggregate up to three CTs into one Spyder input.

No need to apologize, I am sure I could have done a better job at explaining what I wanted.  The harness sounds perfect, yes I realize I will loose some granularity as now a single spider input will be monitoring multiple circuits.

RussellH

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
Something else you could do - simply clamp more wires though the CT.  As long as all the wires are on the same phase, the currents will add.

For the panels I've seen, and assuming a "split phase" home panel, that's alternating breakers on the same side.  You can test this with a voltmeter.  Measure the voltage between phases.  If it's on the same phase, it will be zero volts.  If they're on different phases it will be 208/240 volts.  If you're not comfortable with that, then you can check it by putting similar size loads on each circuit.  Check the reading with one load on.  Then turn on the second load - you should is an increase in power on that MTU.  If you see a drop, then the phases are different and the currents though the CT are canceling instead of adding.

Nutsy

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:27:37 AM »
For scyto... If you just need to monitor total home power usage, you don't need sensors on each circuit - just the main incoming line.