Author Topic: red wire  (Read 2880 times)

apeek

red wire
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:19:53 AM »
installing a new ted pro and there is no mention of what to do with the red wire to the MTU.

with the black wire to circuit breaker, white wire to neutral bus bar, check, no LEDs on MTU.

any hints?

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: red wire
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
The red wire (which has a heat-shrink cap) was for optional use in the 5000 series, and is not supposed to be used at all for the TED Pro. I have no idea why it is still there, but I suppose that there may be special circumstances under which Tech support may tell you to connect it. If your MTU is not flashing after you have connected Black to Live and White to Neutral, it is almost certainly defective (but check with a voltmeter that you haven't got a faulty circuit breaker - does very occasionally happen).
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

apeek

Re: red wire
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:42:24 AM »
yes thank you for the reply.

It turned out to be a dead circuit breaker, which now makes sense why I thought I had an open one.  Open yes, functional no.

My red lead didn't have a heat shrink cap on it, but its now tied out of the way.

cheers