Author Topic: New User have Home Pro Unit  (Read 5836 times)

potsi01

New User have Home Pro Unit
« on: March 17, 2014, 02:25:02 AM »
Here is what I have,
1 pic of screen shot of Live dashboard,
1 pic of phone,modem,ECC & MTU all of which are drawing power.
Why are we seeing negitive numbers?
Thank you

Support7

• Administrator
Re: New User have Home Pro Unit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:16:03 PM »
Hello potsi01,

Typically when you are seeing negative numbers, your CTs are reversed. If you have further issues after checking to see if this solves your issue, please submit a support ticket to www.theenergydetective.com/new-ticket.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

ssproman

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:15:07 PM »
I am having this same issue as well.  And it is a very small negative KWH  number just like yours.  I have tried flipping the CT's, and while it does come out positive, it is still too small of a number.  When I measure amps with my multimeter i get 4 to 10 amps on each phase, while the pro unit is showing only 0amp, 1 amp, and 1 amp.  Voltage is correct.   

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:44:32 PM »
Very low numbers on the utility draw usually mean that the individual CTs are facing 'in opposite directions', so that their readings are being subtracted instead of added. They should both be facing in the same direction - usually towards the 'outside world'. If you have to flip them to get positive readings, both must be flipped.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

ssproman

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:26:39 PM »
I have tried flipping the CT's and have a positive number.  But is there any reason that they are only measuring 1 amp when my multimeter is measuring 4+ amps? If the amps are wrong then the Kw is going to be incorrect as well.

RussellH

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
I am having this same issue as well.  And it is a very small negative KWH  number just like yours.  I have tried flipping the CT's, and while it does come out positive, it is still too small of a number.  When I measure amps with my multimeter i get 4 to 10 amps on each phase, while the pro unit is showing only 0amp, 1 amp, and 1 amp.  Voltage is correct.   

Does the TED read in amps or KW?  You can't calculate amps from KW without knowing the power factor.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
I have tried flipping the CT's and have a positive number.  But is there any reason that they are only measuring 1 amp when my multimeter is measuring 4+ amps? If the amps are wrong then the Kw is going to be incorrect as well.

How are you getting a current (Amps) reading from your TED Pro? Although it internally calculates power from measured voltage, measured current flowing through the CTs, and phase angle/power factor, I don't think that the current values are actually displayed or stored anywhere. AFAIK, the only way of getting current is to back-calculate it, and, as RusselH has noted, the calculation has to take the power factor into account (though this usually results only in a relatively small correction, since power factors of less than 50-60% are unusual in the domestic situation).
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
Hello Pfletch,

The TED Pro Lite and TED Pro Commercial both read and display current. The value updates every minute and is an average over that minute. The data, however, is not stored in history.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
The TED Pro Lite and TED Pro Commercial both read and display current. The value updates every minute and is an average over that minute. The data, however, is not stored in history.

It is 'a priori' obvious that it is being measured, but where/how is it displayed on the TED Pro Home? I can't find it on any Footprints screen. There is a row labeled "Current (0.1A):" on the stats page, but, on my system at least, this is apparently not supported and always shows '0 0 0', irrespective of the voltage and power readings, which vary appropriately and seem correct.
Peter R. Fletcher

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:03:55 PM »
Hello pfletch101,

It is one of the features specific to the TED Pro LITE and TED Pro Commercial systems. On those systems it appears in the System Overview panel, the ECC stats page, and the MTU Pro stats page.

TED Forum Support.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »
The OP had earlier stated (subject of the thread) that he had a Pro Home system, hence my question!!
Peter R. Fletcher

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
Good morning,

I see where the confusion came from. The thread deviated from the OP's initial post when ssproman joined the conversation. I knew by his post he had a Pro Commercial, but that wouldn't be apparent to those not familiar with the system.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support