Author Topic: Footprints not reading RDU  (Read 6881 times)

hksacks

Footprints not reading RDU
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:48:00 AM »
My TED 1001 RDU failed.  I found a new complete system on Ebay.  I used just the RDU.  It receives data from the MTU and displays power usage, but Footprints does not connect with the RDU - it reads zeroes. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it, checked the com port and started the TED service with no result.  It periodically comes up with a message that there is no activity on the com port.  Before the prior RDU failed completely, it came up with the same message, but could be fixed by restarting the software.  Any suggestions?

TEDSupport6

Re: Footprints not reading RDU
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:16:05 AM »
You have to purchase a copy of Footprints for each individual RDU. The unit you purchased is most likely locked. You can verify whether or not this is the case by unplugging it. When you plug it back in, the serial number will flash for a couple seconds on the screen. Look in the lower right corner of the screen to verify the version number followed by either a "U" or "L", indicating unlocked or locked, respectively. If the unit is locked and you wish to purchase Footprints, please open a support ticket here: http://www.theenergydetective.com/new-ticket.

hksacks

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
The unit starts and says:

Welcome Plan: 000
A10005257 v8.00

There is no U or L notation. 

TEDSupport6

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »
The RDU has outdated firmware, so I recommend that you go ahead and open a support ticket using the link in my last post.

aoshi

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03:25 AM »
I was an early purchaser of the Ted1000 and it's been rock solid since the day I bought it.  I did however, want to get it wired up to the PC so I can graph my usage.

I found myself reading this thread and being lead to believe there's an upgrade to the Old 1000's that will allow for connectivity... well there isn't. 

So, just for the sake of closing off this thread this is the response I got from Tech support

Quote from: TED Support
We have discontinued the sale of the TED1000 series hardware and software.   We do maintain support for the product, but do not offer upgrades.
If your device did not come unlocked with Footprints on it you will not be able to port data to your computer.   A simple firmware upgrade will not do that.  It would require your sending the unit back to our office, our engineering department unlocking it, testing, and sending it back.   Cost to do so exceeds the cost of a NEW TED5000 which has Footprints embedded.
I do hope this answers your question.
Kindest regards,
TED Support

I'm really not sure why they don't just say this in the forums, or even better in an FAQ somewhere on the site that Acknowledges they once sold the TED1000...there's practically zero mention on this website that the 1000 even existed.  I had to go use a search engine to find a copy of the manual hosted on another site!

I can easily accept there's no upgrades for my unit, but it would be nice if I didn't have to contact Tech support and go through a series of email exchanges to find that out.  Especially when there's comments to the contrary in the forums from the staff.