Author Topic: Second MTUs - TEDstaff: do you have plans for smaller current transformers?  (Read 17575 times)

jbatchelor51

How about integrating something like this:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/tweetawatt/

its Xbee based.. leaving a PC on all the time to connect and log or send to remote log is not ideal...

SherlockOhms

• Sherlock
There are some things under consideration  more info soon.

martingugino

Re: Second MTUs - TEDstaff: do you have plans for smaller current transformers?
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
There are some things under consideration  more info soon.

Was there more info?

martingugino

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »
Does the load identification feature key on which MTU it is?
Unfortunately no. This would be a great feature to add to the next release.

Possibly, but since I can't get load identification to work at all, I am not that interested.
This was just a sanity-check question. [Fail]
And I wouldn't want to see any available resources diverted to this item rather than to, say, removing "activate Google Powermeter" from the menus, or adding the date to the graphs, or plotting outside temperature, or posting a prioritized list of features being worked on, considered, postponed, rejected. 

rotus8

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
Actually, this last feature is in the current release. Doesn't help much though.

martingugino

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 03:27:34 AM »
Ah, yes, I see.  Pity.

htroberts

there is another company that monitors 12
What is the product? It's not the Black&Decker device. I'd like to see what they have, as often new features are developed to meet the competition's capabilities.

I'm new here, hopefully mentioning other products isn't taboo--I think they're in divergent enough market space to not really be competition (plus, I would hope that this industry is small enough and growing quickly enough for everyone to see most if not all players do well)--anyway, there's a product called emonitor from "powerhouse dynamics" that will do 44 circuits.

I found this thread because I'd also like to use smaller CTs--ideally a torroidal and just big enough to pass a #00 THHN.

I haven't bought a TED yet, but will probably do so and am pretty psyched about using one. I found TED looking for a data source for plotwatt.com, who's local to me, but I see that there are several other places to send data to analyze.

RussellH

Q1) If using a second MTU to monitor a single breaker, I would like a smaller current transformer to fit around the smaller wires. Does TEDco have any plans for that? Would it be possible to jury-rig something?

Just out of curiosity, what about a device in the "Kill-A-Watt" form factor to monitor individual loads?  One problem with the Kill-A-Watt is that you can't really stick it behind the refrigerator and expect to read it.  Trying to extend the wiring to where you can see is is messy.  Being able to chart the load use would be another advantage.

htroberts

Just out of curiosity, what about a device in the "Kill-A-Watt" form factor to monitor individual loads?  One problem with the Kill-A-Watt is that you can't really stick it behind the refrigerator and expect to read it.  Trying to extend the wiring to where you can see is is messy.  Being able to chart the load use would be another advantage.

Well, for one thing, you could only use it to monitor plug-in loads. For another, it would need its own PLC modem--not a big deal for one, but a fair bit of extra expense if you want to look at 20-40 loads. Also, you could monitor each circuit in a typical house or small office with <30 CTs in the service panel, but you might need twice as many plug-in boxes.

I'm pretty intrigued by the load profiling, where people are separating consumption algorithmically instead of with individual circuit monitors. That may obviate the need for so many current loggers.

RussellH

Well, for one thing, you could only use it to monitor plug-in loads.

Correct.  That's a given

For another, it would need its own PLC modem

I'd imagine it would be no more expensive then a MTU.  The idea is to look at specific loads.  For example, your home theater system.  It's likely plugged into the same circuits as other loads, so you can't distinguish it at the breaker panel.  And the load is too variable for load profiling. And you can move it around to get an idea what different devices draw while still integrating with the rest of TED.

I'm pretty intrigued by the load profiling, where people are separating consumption algorithmically instead of with individual circuit monitors. That may obviate the need for so many current loggers.

You're going to have to do it a better way then how TED does it.  It only marginally works.  And only for loads whose current draw is much different (higher) then anything else.  I've gotten it to work for my water heater, but not my refrigerator.

htroberts

You're going to have to do it a better way then how TED does it.  It only marginally works.  And only for loads whose current draw is much different (higher) then anything else.  I've gotten it to work for my water heater, but not my refrigerator.

Have you tried plotwatt.com? (I have not, because I don't yet have a data source like a TED, but they claim to be able to do this (load identification/separation through data analysis, without individual meters) to a fairly fine degree)

If you have a TED meter, as I understand it, all you'd have to do is send your data to plotwatt.

John

I have a TED5000.

Can a "plotwatt" user share his experience?

Regards, John.

funat120mph

I use plotwatt.  The graphing is great and so is support.

Support7

• Administrator

I have a TED5000.

Can a "plotwatt" user share his experience?

Regards, John.

Feel free to share your experiences, John, and have a great day!

TED Support

RussellH

I use plotwatt.  The graphing is great and so is support.

What does it do besides graphing?  Is it able to break out the various appliances based on a pattern?