Author Topic: Second MTUs - TEDstaff: do you have plans for smaller current transformers?  (Read 17454 times)

funat120mph

Plotwatt graphs the data very well.  They also use an algorithm to break usage into appliances.

John

I have a TED5000 for almost a Year.(Two Mtu,s/Whole Home/Water heater).

The unit works as advertised. (Works great for me).

The only issue I had was the billing period of June.
A thunderstorm messed up the kwh readings. (Three short hydro-black-outs in less the 5 min).

3rdStng

Re: Second MTUs - TEDstaff: do you have plans for smaller current transformers?
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »
Can TED work with other commercially available CTs? Or more generally, is there any other equipment that is approved for use with a TED installation?
I don't believe this question was ever answered.  Does anyone know if TED will support other CT's?  I just upgraded my main panel and the main feeds are actually bus lines instead of wires now.  The space between the bottom of the panel and where these bus bars connect is smaller than the actual clamps themselves.  What I was wondering is if I could purchase some Flexible CT's and splice the wires off the Flex CT's into the wires that plug into the MTU.

TEDSupport6

TED is not designed to work with other CTs. If your panel has solid bus bars, you should be able to contact your utility company and have them come out to install your CTs on the meter side of the panel, where the leads are not enclosed. Chances are that they've already encountered other TED customers with the same request.

jeff

QUESTION REGARDING POSSIBLE INDUCTION ERRORS INTRODUCED  WHEN  MULTIPLE MTU / CT SETS ARE INSTALLED IN A CONGESTED SMALL SPACE.
Gentlemen:
I am in Peoria Arizona (Phoenix).   I am the proud owner of a TED 5000 with four MTU / CT sets.   I purchased your product in order to gain accurate data on my electric consumption and demand.
I am on a TOU rate with a smart meter (have over 800 days of data from the utility).  Unfortunately, my utility does not include demand in the TOU; and, therefore does not record demand data.  Plus their data sums for on peak and off peak; not  hour  specific.  Another problem is the read times are not the same time each day; AND, if no day read; then, an extrapolated estimate that day based on some unknown history algorithm.  What a country! 
I am seriously considering a grid tie solar system.   In order to make an intelligent decision on system size; (and cost!).   I decided to use your equipment to create a data base of actual consumption and demand and combine with a solar calendar by day and hour.  My TOU has different  Summer  and  Winter  on peak and off peak time periods.  Regardless of the season; TOU on peak (some) occurs during NO PRODUCTIVE SUNLIGHT.
My home uses gas for:  Heat; water heat; and, range cooking.
Major electric loads are two AC units (split Compressors  /  Condensers outside / two  air handlers in gas furnaces; both in attic).  Then a clothes dryer; plus other normal household TVs; Computers; and, appliances. Im loving my TED. So far just installed on main panel feed circuit.  It appears that my VAMPIRE LOAD is running  about 0.75 KW  24 / 7!!!
Your asking - - Why is he writing this???   
Look at the attached PDF photos.  If I go with the Solar; Im concerned the main panel will become too congested depending on the interconnect configuration.   See photo 2.  The main panel and meter are on the outside front corner of the garage.  I have built a MULTI CIRCUIT MTU / CT PANEL that, when installed will be on the inside of the garage; lined up with the main panel on the outside.  The three circuits to be monitored will be extended and loop through the MTU panel.  See photos page 1.  I may move the main feed MTU into this panel  by extending the CT leads.  As you can see; I, have not shortened the wiring that came with the MTU sets.  They are just coiled and tied into bundles.  Wanted to hold future options for using system  somewhere else; later.
QUESTIONS:
1)    Is there a risk of induction errors as I have built the panel?
2)    I must lengthen (5 to 6 Ft) the main lead CT leads if I move the MTU into the new panel.  Will this be a problem?
3)   I have installed a duplex outlet on the new panel.  It is connected to the same hot leg as the MTUs and the Gateway.  I may want to plug the Gateway into this outlet.  I would then add a CAT 5 circuit from my router to the Gateway .   Distance (circuit length) sixty feet +/-).    Is this a problem?
4)   Each of the air handlers are 120 volts.  I have routed the power leg of each through one of the CTs for their companion 240 volt compressor power  legs (same bus leg).  To capture total load on each AC;  along  with heat air handler load in the winter.  Is this a problem?
I appreciate your time in answering my questions and critiquing my PANEL.
Feel free to share any or all of this if it has merit.
Jeff
Handym91220002@yahoo.com 
j

j

TPeterson

TED is not designed to work with other CTs. If your panel has solid bus bars, you should be able to contact your utility company and have them come out to install your CTs on the meter side of the panel, where the leads are not enclosed. Chances are that they've already encountered other TED customers with the same request.
Is this still your recommended approach?  My service panel was just "upgraded" (by an idiot who left the TED stuff disconnected) to the type with solid bus bars (see attached photos) and I was hoping that you'd have by now some more compact CTs.