Author Topic: "RAW" Data - what exactly is it?  (Read 2953 times)

hnrsoftware

"RAW" Data - what exactly is it?
« on: March 09, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »
I've been having serious difficulty in "configuring" my TED system with two main breaker panels and a solar PV system feeding into one of them.  My gut, and what I can glean from documentation suggests a layout of "adjusted load, generation and load", but each time I try to use this, the data does not seem to make sense.  Note, I am just recovering from an MTU failure, so I am having to re-confirm the data oddnesses.  At the moment, I'm just trying to establish a baseline of data, extracted to csv for external analysis.

This particular question is "what exactly is the "RAW" data which can be exported?"  I had assumed that it was simply an export of MTU readings without any "layout" processing added - "raw" readings.  I am starting to suspect that "RAW" simply means "compressed", and the readings themselves are already processed with the layout parameters of "load, adjusted load, stand-alone Net...".  The "RAW" export format is much faster to fetch in large quantities (say 2 days of minute readings - 2880 separate records).  I can certainly understand that the small processor used in the gateway would not be particularly happy converting to a verbose format such as XML, but it doesn't seem like the base64 is saving much in exporting to a CSV format.  I will trust that it must help somehow, but I would like someone to confirm whether this data is truly "raw", or just a compressed transmission format of the already processed stored readings.

hnrsoftware

Re: "RAW" Data - what exactly is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:16 PM »
Either this is a pretty unused forum, or it just isn't monitored very often.  I don't think my question is all that difficult.  The reason that I don't just figure it out by trial and error is that every time you use the "write to device" "Update" in Footprints, the data (at least) glitches - missing or extra data records, and I have seen no documentation to tell me whether, or how it will change history data.  All in all, I would just prefer a yes/no answer to the question from the people who designed the data.  :-}  Howard

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »
Good afternoon hnrsoftware,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, I had to verify some information before I replied.

If you are asking about the 5000 series export data, it is base64 raw values that are exported.

Thanks for your question!

TED Forum Support
www.theenergydetective.com/new-ticket

hnrsoftware

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »
Well... that is sort-of my question.  What I want to know is whether the "RAW" power reading it truely "raw" - a signed value that is independent of the layout settings in Footprints (Generation/Load/Adjusted Load...), or whether the returned "raw" values are actually the same values that footprints would be displaying/graphing - some as absolute values, some always negative, some "adjusted" by other mtus...

I understand the base64 aspect - it is the "raw"-ness that is unclear.

Nowhere (that I can find) is it documented precisely how those layout settings affect the mtu the data, and how the settings interact with each other.   At present, I have all three MTUs set as "Stand-alone Net", because they at least provide rational values.  Footprints dashboard doesn't really like stand-alone net, but every time I try to change the settings, I get odd results.

If I could trust that the "raw" values really are "raw", I could change the layout without losing data and history.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
Good afternoon hnrsoftware,

According to our software engineer and Tech Support, the values exported are what Footprints displays. As for what each setting does you can find a breakdown here: http://www.theenergydetectiveforums.com/index.php/topic,2532.0.html. I hope this answers your questions.

Have a great day!

TED Forum Support