Author Topic: TED 1000 RDU freezes  (Read 6093 times)

craig

TED 1000 RDU freezes
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:20:43 AM »
My T.E.D. has been installed since Aug 2009. I have it connected to a HomeSeer Hometroller (Windows XP SP2 2002 Embedded server). I have two issues. One is that Footprints would cease reading data from the RDU. The RDU will continue to run, but I would have to re-boot the server and it will work fine again....usually for 7-10 days, sometimes less. I've basically just been living with that issue.

Second issue that just started in the last 2 weeks is that the RDU freezes. The readings will be stuck. Flipping the breaker that contains the MTU does nothing. Unplugging the RDU, waiting ~10 secs and plugging back in fixes the problem. This issue happens at least daily.

Any thoughts?

SherlockOhms

• Sherlock
Re: TED 1000 RDU freezes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:03:57 AM »
Instead of unplugging the RDU and MTU's. When it freezes, turn off all other breakers in the house other then the RDU+MTU ciruicts. If your communication resumes start turning breakers on one at the time till you see the RDU freeze again. 

scheepers

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Instead of unplugging the RDU and MTU's. When it freezes, turn off all other breakers in the house other then the RDU+MTU ciruicts. If your communication resumes start turning breakers on one at the time till you see the RDU freeze again. 

I have had my 1000 for several years and it has begun to "flat line" or get stuck on the same value, even though actual consumption is reduced or increased. When I cycle power, it works for a short while then flat lines again. This has been going on for 10 days. What can I do?

TEDSupport6

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »

Scheepers, did you get the chance to try this advice? Did the RDU "unfreeze" while all of the other breakers are turned off?

ldeffenb

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:35:43 AM »
My TED 1000 RDU quit getting updates, and in fact, the flashing light quit flashing (turned off) the other night.  I correlated the fact that I had moved a new computer to the UPS that shared the outlet with the RDU.  I unplugged the UPS (not the computer) and the RDU started flashing and displaying the dynamic power consumption again.  When I plugged the UPS back in, the RDU stopped flashing again.

I moved the UPS plug to an outlet across the room (which I believe is on a different breaker) and the RDU has been working fine ever since.  My problem is that the new computer is supposed to be the one to which Footprints and the RDU connection is migrating so they NEED to be close to each other!

Lynn (D) - TED 1000 Owner

TEDSupport6

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
My problem is that the new computer is supposed to be the one to which Footprints and the RDU connection is migrating so they NEED to be close to each other!

That's great that you were able to isolate the interference! You can purchase a plug-in style noise filter from our website at this link: http://www.theenergydetective.com/plug-in-line-noise-filter. You can plug your UPS right into this filter and then you should be able to move it close enough to your RDU to connect them.