Author Topic: Single circuit installation  (Read 4610 times)

SUEE

Single circuit installation
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »
I am interested in getting the Ted 1001, as I was told it will allow for monitoring an appliance on a single circuit.  I have not been able to find any directions, however, about how to install the ct's on the circuit...ie, do the cts fit closely together on the wire or further apart from each other?  Are the red dots both facing up or down or one up , one down etc?  

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:23:54 PM by SUEE »

rotus8

Re: Single circuit installation
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
If you are monitoring a 120v circuit, you use only one CT. Leave the other one closed but with nothing running through the loop. If you are monitoring a 220 circuit, you need to put one CT around each of the hot wires, usually black and red. The red dots should both be facing the same way, by convention the dots should be from the source of the power, away from the appliance, but it really doesn't matter for a simple monitor of one appliance.

If this is not clear, a little more description of your application will help get you the advice you need.

SUEE

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:23:08 PM »
thanks.  Here is an additional description of my set up.  I have an external sump pump which plugs into a protected outside electrical box. The pump is wired into a separate circuit on the inside electrical panel. It's a 120 circuit.  I want to use the Ted 1001 just to monitor this circuit.  (This is a duplex and I need to know how much the pump is costing each month so it can be divided between tenants.  So is there anything else I need to know besides what you told me about only putting one CT on the circuit? 

TEDSupport6

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
Just use one CT and you'll be all set.