Author Topic: Suggestion - Roku channel, Roku Screensaver  (Read 1909 times)

jlsoaz

Suggestion - Roku channel, Roku Screensaver
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
Hi -
I suggest that Energy Inc consider working with Roku to:

- allow for the TED information to display as a screensaver on a video screen hooked to a Roku.
- allow for a TED channel on the Roku that would allow for a person to view and scroll through the basic TED information on the video screen rather than just on a computer or the separate handheld LCD display.

jlsoaz

Re: Suggestion - Roku channel, Roku Screensaver
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 11:17:54 AM »
Also, if there is another way to get the TED information to a video screen without too much hassle and that does not necessarily involve working with another technology provider, then that might be a good idea as well.  If there is a competitor to Roku that offers similar capabilities to Roku, then they might also be worth considering.  The overall idea here is that I have long thought it might be interesting if I could see the TED information as a screensaver option on my video screen, as well as perhaps view a bit more in-depth information as a selectable choice in the channels.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:38:37 PM by jlsoaz »

tlveik

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:36:42 PM »
I can't help you on the Roku side, but it's an interesting idea.  If fact, I may just give this a try and write a Windows screen saver for this idea.

jlsoaz

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
Hi -

- allow for the TED information to display as a screensaver on a video screen hooked to a Roku.
- allow for a TED channel on the Roku that would allow for a person to view and scroll through the basic TED information on the video screen rather than just on a computer or the separate handheld LCD display.

I want to reiterate this suggestion.  It seems to me that it is almost a no-brainer: it's a way for a TED customer to display the full home and cirucuit information on a very large screen with no muss and no fuss.  It could even be a way to standardize the modest payments, using the  payment system within Roku. 

Also, a home Roku channel could be similar to channels that are set up that allow users to view their photographs and such, so there is sort of some precedent for this.

US homes seem to lack basic "dashboard" and "log" setups that would help denizens to use the homes better, and to keep better track of data and significant changes to the homes.  I think a TED Channel and TED screensaver on the Roku could inch us closer to better stored and realtime home energy information.

jlsoaz

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 01:19:24 PM »
Hi -

I want to reiterate this suggestion.  It seems to me that it is almost a no-brainer: it's a way for a TED customer to display the full home and cirucuit information on a very large screen with no muss and no fuss.  It could even be a way to standardize the modest payments, using the  payment system within Roku. 

Also, a home Roku channel could be similar to channels that are set up that allow users to view their photographs and such, so there is sort of some precedent for this.

US homes seem to lack basic "dashboard" and "log" setups that would help denizens to use the homes better, and to keep better track of data and significant changes to the homes.  I think a TED Channel and TED screensaver on the Roku could inch us closer to better stored and realtime home energy information.

I can see an argument against it, which is that the separate display device does readily provide some of this information (or a personal computer screen) but the display device is very tiny and requires filtering through to get the information one wants.  A personal computer screen is great for some purposes, but I think at other times doesn't get it done (one could watch a movie as well on one's computer screen, but there are times when that is not ideal).

I'm a bit biased also because my display device doesn't seem to work as well on a circuit where I can regularly look at it, so that makes me want an alternative a bit more.

tlveik

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 09:56:48 PM »
Do you have any programming skills?  If you can't talk the TED folks into doing this, you could probably do it yourself if you have some programming skills.  I just did a Google search and it looks possible for individuals to do this.  There are Youtube videos showing how to get started.