Author Topic: Micro-pc dedicated to Footprints?  (Read 10777 times)

mrlegoman

Micro-pc dedicated to Footprints?
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »
I've had my TED for a little less then a month now.  I find it a little contradictive that the device that is suppose to help me track and eliminate excess electrical cost needs to be plugged in 24/7 to one of the most wasteful power consuming devices I own.  Not to mention that if I need to use the pc or restart it, then I either lose all my Footprint data because I forgot to save it, or I get no date for a certain period which throws off my averages. 
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap micro-pc setup dedicated to running just footprints?
Something like a zbox http://www.zotacusa.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox?p=1
Or a cheap ultra small like http://www.amazon.com/Dell-SX270-Professional-Extremely-Operation/dp/B002Q6ZTZM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315594583&sr=1-2

Maybe a Sony VAIO?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-VAIO-VGN-UX180P-Micro-PC-/320755116464?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item4aae7ea9b0

stanar

Re: Micro-pc dedicated to Footprints?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »
Not sure why you have to have a pc running to collect the data. TED5000 already saves the data. Am I missing something?

rotus8

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »
Not sure why you have to have a pc running to collect the data. TED5000 already saves the data. Am I missing something?
Did you notice that this is in the TED1000 section?

iteration69

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »
I don't know anything about the ted 1000. But i whipped up a script and cron job to log the ted 5000 data. You may be able to get something going with a few modifications.
http://www.theenergydetectiveforums.com/index.php/topic,499.0.html

I'm currently working on a portable solution, everything is basically the same other than i use a plugcomputer. As is a plug computer will consume about 20watts but if you use a switched mode power supply you can drop it down to 5-8 watts.

LEGOManiac

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
I too, am amazed that the 1001 did not come with a microSD card at the very least. If I can buy a 10-in-1 USB card reader for $7, adding an SD card to the TED should have been trivial, especially given it's already fairly high price  tag. I also marvel at the stunning lack of a backlit display. Really short-sighted.

That said, for anyone considering an energy efficient means of running Footprints or other logging software, check out www.fit-pc.com.

I'm using a FitPC2i as my home server/firewall/bittorrent box and it's been running just fine for a couple of years now. In my case, running linux-based Zentyal server, but I did try out XP on it when I first got it.

The FitPC2i uses a whopping 5W (idle) and 8W (full load, although I actually measured 7W / less if you use a solid state drive)

Needless to say, this is NOT a high-performance PC. It was designed expressly to push the limits of low-power computing. It does not use a fan and can be carried in your shirt pocket yet it has HDMI for video output, 4 USB ports, 2 gigabit ethernet and wireless capability.

There are other models in the FitPC2 series with different mixes of ports.

Also, since I was writing this anyway, I checked out there site again, and there is now a FitPC3 with Radeon HD 6xxx graphics which should be a huge improvement over the 2i's graphics (The 2i is OK as a server, workstation and even for video, but it can't handle even simple games like Plants vs. Zombies (tried it).

Hopefully the FitPC3 will raise the bar a bit. Power consumption is listed at 7W (idle) and 15W (full load)