Author Topic: Low kw and low cost values  (Read 5106 times)

jonkjon

Low kw and low cost values
« on: August 08, 2011, 03:12:12 AM »
I have a ted 1002 setup and am using my own software to parse the xml data to display on my custom web pages to be served to my iPhone. I can obtain most of the values except for the low kW value for the day and the low $cost value for the day. Am i just missing that in the xml file or is it not there? Thanks.

jonkjon

Re: Low kw and low cost values
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »
Hopefully this isn't a dead thread. This is a pretty decent product and it would be a shame to see it fail. It does need a few things. After several years of use, I think I'm qualified to make a few requests.

1. Automatic chart exporting or automated csv exporting to allow end users to publish graphs to the web.
2. Updates for 1000 series users software shouldn't be neglected.It seems that most ui improvemnts etc have only been done For the newer 5000 series users. Dont leave us stranded. We already have to get creative with the original devices ;)

Thanks for listening and making this product. I would just like to see it be more useful.

GAR

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
110810-0658 EDT

jonkjon:

There does not appear to be a command for either min kW per day or for low $ cost per day.

Quite obviously there is no need for a low $ cost because that would occur only at the start of whatever time period the $ cost was zeroed. $ cost is a monotonic function until zeroed.

jonkjon

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:38:29 AM »
Thanks. Yes, cost per day would be monotonic. What i meant, and failed to convey, was low cost/hr per day.  Thanks for the reply.

GAR

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:53:00 AM »
110814-2135 EDT

jonkjon:

If you export TED's 1 hour data, then you can either manually scan for the minimum KW, or write a program to extract the minimum or plot the data, and because this power is averaged over a 1 hour time span it also equals the minimum KWH.

Assuming your rate is constant, then the rate times KWH minimum provides the minimum hourly cost. At night mine might be less than $ 0.13/hour. The nighttime maximum might be about $ 0.26/hour.

If you have a variable rate, then it may be necessary to determine the minimum KWH in different time regions, and determine which is minimum cost. Why do you care about minimum cost per hour? Why not think in KWH?

jonkjon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Of course exporting data from the TED 1002, at this point, is a manual process. I am looking to automate the data collection so as to have it available remotely. That's why I am sending the data out via my custom web pages to my iPhone.
The reason I was aiming for cost/hr rather than kWh is because the $ amount seems to have more impact on lay people. I appreciate your input though. Hopefully more functionality will be added to the software for the older Ted 1000 units and this can be considered. Having the ability to schedule exporting data into XML format would be a great addition to the software without having to upgrade device firmware. Scheduling exports of the graph images would be great too ;)