Poll

maximum clamps?

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: all breakers  (Read 3666 times)

lotsawatts

all breakers
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »
I am much interested in this product but can not find out if I can have all 23 breaker lines in my house each monitored.  I have 2 breaker boxes one with 13 breakers and the other with 10.  Is there a package that can fit my wants (needs)?

GAR

Re: all breakers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
110804-1030 EDT

lotsawatts:

Why do you want to individually monitor each breaker circuit? Do you need power monitoring vs just current monitoring? If you used current monitoring, then do you need more information beyond a binary output indicating that the current is above some threshold value?

lotsawatts

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
The main problem is that when my GF and I go off for the evening or for the weekend or a week vacation we have come back to the house to find the AC turned down to 68 in the house and everything on in the house due to an inconsiderate kid I am trying to get out of the house.  He has denied leaving things on and waiting till the last moment also for us to come home and turn things off.  When I am home 24/7 our meter usage is really low.  When we are gone it is nothing like coming home to a 300$ ele bill and a normal bill of 75$ when we are around.  By monitoring each line which I have the whole house mapped I can show him that it is not our imagination it is him being inconsiderate.   Power monitoring is ideal but I do not want one of the killawat things plugged into every outlet lol  which would look and be over bearing.  After seeing the panel install systems I thought wow I can watch each one hopefully and correct my problems.   Monitoring the threshold would be good use also.

rotus8

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
TED5000 supports a maximum of four current probes. You can probably figure out the major consumers and monitor them for your purposes. Going from $75 to $300 is not a few light bulbs.

lotsawatts

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
I'm going to talk with my GF and most likely go for the 5000 and isolate the areas I'm concerned with.  As a note for parents with kids that won't stop turning the AC to their liking,  I had installed a hidden switch I only know about on the AC that disables the compressor from turning on.  It was entertaining to come home to find all the doors open and the AC turned way down and a kid complaining that the AC was not working.  If the solution does not work with the switch and the 5000, I will be forced to move him out. 

DavidCB74

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:11 AM »
Hey Lots.....
When I read your post, an "EMonitor" by PowerhouseDynamics is the 1st system I thought of.  It Is Pricey(!), and there's a monthly fee for all the bells'n'whistles, but it would definitely give you the breakdown by each circuit. 

If you try it, let me know how it works out for you.

GAR

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »
110804-2037 EDT

DavidCB74:

Your reference to EMonitor looked interesting. But their website is next to useless. No real technical details and specifications.

If you buy one it is an unknown black box.

DavidCB74

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »
A few pics here,...

http://www.energycircle.com/blog/2010/01/20/powerhouse-dynamics-emonitor-unboxing-installation-and-first-impressions

...the EMonitor is cost prohibitive for me.  The fact that the TED has such a comprehensive web-based "interface" and is relatively economical, I think its a great middle-of-the-road product between something like the Emonitor and the cheap'o optical models.  That's not to say if my income suddenly doubled, and/or was building a new home, that I wouldn't purchase an EMonitor or similar unit.   Anyway....