Author Topic: TEDService.exe Handles & Threads  (Read 5529 times)

ldeffenb

TEDService.exe Handles & Threads
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:42:44 AM »
I just moved my TED Footprints software from a 64bit Vista machine to a new Windows 7 64bit machine.  After moving it, I noticed that the TEDService process was steadily increasing the number of Threads and Handles in Task Managers Processes tab.  This usually indicates a leak of some kind, and in the case of Threads, can severely impact the performance of the machine.

Is this normal?  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  To see it, open your Task Manager, select the Processes tab and then View / Select Columns.  Make sure Threads and Handles are checked and you'll see columns with those numbers.  Locate the TEDService.exe process (you may have to check "Show Processes from All Users), and check out the numbers in the new columns.  These numbers should either be steady or slightly fluctuating, not growing steadily.

My TEDService has been up for about 30 minutes and is already at 6m000 handles and 1,000 threads and growing. This is WAY too many!

Is there anything I can do? Privileges, firewall settings, something?

Lynn (D)

ldeffenb

Re: TEDService.exe Handles & Threads
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
I did some additional investigating with Microsoft's Process Explorer and found that most of the handles in TEDService are Thread handles.  This goes along with the number of threads.

Most of the threads have a Start Address of mscorwks.dll!CorExitProcess+0x15ad5 which may or may not mean anything to you.  Spot-checking their stacks and it appears that they are sitting on a WaitForSingleObject somewhere, which is decidedly non-helpful.

All I know is that TEDService is having some sort of trouble and is stacking up more threads than my machine (or any machine) can handle for long.

Lynn (D)

SherlockOhms

• Sherlock
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
Did you give all the executables administrator privileges? If not go into comparability and check off "Run As Administrator"

ldeffenb

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:22:22 AM »
I didn't think it would make any difference to a service, but I did it anyway to all TED*.EXEs.  Started the service and it is already at 729 Handles, 117 Threads, and 138MB Commit Size after about 3 minutes.  And climbing steadily.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Lynn (D)