Author Topic: Advice monitoring 2 locations with one gateway, 2 mtus  (Read 1703 times)

RockFish

Advice monitoring 2 locations with one gateway, 2 mtus
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:04 PM »
Just installed my new TED 5000, and am sucessfully monitoring electrical usage in my main house. I have a guest house that I'd also like to monitor, but I'm not sure where I could put the 2nd MTU to monitor both houses independently. Please look at the attached drawing and let me know if there is somewhere I could connect my 2nd MTU and have it monitor the guest house sepearately and report to the same/single gateway I'm currently using.

Thanks

rotus8

Re: Advice monitoring 2 locations with one gateway, 2 mtus
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
I would start by installing the MTU in your Powermain panel with CTs on the leads to the guest house and the power connection on the house side of that panel's house breakers. If the communications is poor, it is going to be difficult to fix, but it just might work, so give it a try.

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Advice monitoring 2 locations with one gateway, 2 mtus
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:07:56 AM »
It depends a little bit on where everything is physically located and exactly how the main breaker panel is constructed, but my first suggestion would be to put both MTUS in the main breaker panel with their current clips on the appropriate outgoing wires, and power them and a new socket for the gateway from an additional pair of breakers in there.

If you can't put another set of breakers in the main panel, or the gateway would then be a long way from where you want it to be in terms of Wi-Fi access, I would still locate the Guest House MTU there, powered from the Main House breaker and with its clips round the outgoing wires to the Guest House, and hope (!) that the wire-transmitted signals reach the gateway (they probably will, provided that there is not too much noise from the Guest House). Both I and the previous poster say to power the Guest House MTU from the Main House breaker rather than the Guest House one, because there should be little enough LF impedance across the two breakers to make the AC voltages substantially identical in the two places, but breakers do seem to block some HF noise (and signal).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:11:31 AM by pfletch101 »
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits