Author Topic: Difference between TED and Hydro-Quebec  (Read 2382 times)

drakecoldwinter

Difference between TED and Hydro-Quebec
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
Hello, I have been using TED for a couple of weeks now. TED is giving me a different count than Hydro-Quebec...

In a span of 12 hours(night time), TED tells me that I have used 15 kwh while Hydro-Quebec tells me I have used 19 kwh. In a full day TED will tell me I used 45 kwh, meanwhile Hydro-Quebec tells me I used 69 kwh...

big difference... In the web page it says TED has an error margin of 2%.

How can I check that TED is properly configured and properly counting the kwh without error ??
I bought TED because I had the feeling Hydro-Quebec is overcharging me, now I'm starting to have more than just a feeling about this, I need to be sure TED is counting properly and with exactitude before I call hydro-Quebec with my very upset voice tone...

RussellH

Re: Difference between TED and Hydro-Quebec
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
Good question.  Have you verified the readings on the meter and matched them against the bill? 

I wouldn't think it would be too big a deal to ask that your meter be replaced. 

drakecoldwinter

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:35:28 AM »
Yes, The reading on the meter and my bill are the same... which is to say 20% higher than with the old meter...

I need a way to ensure the TED readings are good...so that I can argue that the hydro-Quebec meter is wrong...

tlveik

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 04:21:20 AM »
There are things that you can do, but I don't know of anything that would be considered highly accurate.  Certainly in the eyes of hydro-Quebec.

For example, you could measure the DC resistance of a portable electric heater, calculate the power that it would use and compare that with what your TED says.  That would only consider loads with high power factor though.  You would probably also need to test something with a relatively poor power factor.

The power companies have taken out lots of old school power meters and replaced them with digital version.  There are a lot of old residential power meters on ebay.  You could try one of those for a third opinion.  You'd have to be very safe with that though.  Only try that on a single sub circuit, not the whole house.

RussellH

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:42 PM »
The power companies have taken out lots of old school power meters and replaced them with digital version.  There are a lot of old residential power meters on ebay.  You could try one of those for a third opinion.  You'd have to be very safe with that though.  Only try that on a single sub circuit, not the whole house.
I'm not sure as it would be convincing unless it was whole house.  You could have an electrician install it between "their" meter and your panel.

However, before going that far, I'd make a complaint and ask to have the meter changed.  I'd suspect they're reasonably open to doing that.  The fact you have a device that can measure the power puts you ahead of other consumers.