Author Topic: What do I need?  (Read 3756 times)

drakecoldwinter

What do I need?
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »
Hello, I'm new here. I'm looking into buying a TED unit. I'm looking at the TED Pro with Spyder. I have a geothermal system.

I have attached a photo of my panel. I have 3 wires (2 blacks + 1 white) the 2 blacks are connected to two 200A breakers so that I have a total of 400A.

What do I need to properly monitor my house ? TED Pro home with extra MTU ? what are the cost ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:26:46 PM by drakecoldwinter »

falcon

Re: What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 04:44:25 AM »
That's actually a single 200A 2-pole breaker, running on (likely) 3/0 copper. It's just doubled up to provide more contact area with the buss bar. You should be good with a TED Pro Home, plus a spyder if you want to look at individual circuits in your panel. You'll put 1 clamp from the MTU on each of those center black wires.

RussellH

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
One MTU will cover the whole house power consumption.  The MTU will have enough clamps to cover the two black wires.

Additional MTUs or spyders are needed only if you want t break down by circuit.

drakecoldwinter

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 11:14:52 PM »
I was thinking it was 400A total because it seems like twice 200...

I will buy the TED Pro + Spyder :) Now I'm looking where to buy it.

Question, I see the spyder has several choices, with combinations of 20amps and 60amps donuts. I have several 15A jumpers and several 30A(dryer) what donuts should I get ? What are the 60amps and the 20amps donuts for ?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:17:59 PM by drakecoldwinter »

falcon

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »
With the Spyder CTs, you'll want to use the 20A CTs to measure the 15A circuits and the 60A CTs to measure the larger circuits, like your dryer, an A/C if you have one, electric range... anything over 20A. Or, you can use them to measure the 15A circuits as well.

With those larger 240V circuits, you'll usually only need to measure one one of the two wires going into it if it's a balanced circuit (they usually are). You can double the reading in the Footprints software. You'll want to check it beforehand by hooking a CT up to each wire and verifying that they read about the same, though.

I would probably start off with a Spyder Mix, which gives you 4x20A and 4x60A CTs. That lets you monitor your 8 biggest draws in your house. I really wouldn't bother much with light circuits or things like that unless you REALLY want to measure everything individually (keep in mind that your main clamps are going to get a total of ALL your power; the spyder is just to let you separate it out so you can tell exactly when that circuit is active). If that's the case, you'll need to get more Spyders, like say a Spyder 20. That would give you another 8x20A CTs. You can hook up 2 Spyders to one MTU.

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 07:01:02 PM »
I would endorse falcon's comments and suggestions. Note also that the accuracy specs on the Spyder channels are much less tight than those on the main MTUs and that they read zero at or below a positive current flow which depends on their current rating. These two considerations are further reasons not to spend extra to monitor circuits which don't carry much power. If you are worried about vampire losses (you probably should be!), putting a Kill-A-Watt in line with the likely culprits for a day or two will quantify those.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

drakecoldwinter

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:55:39 AM »
I just got this morning my TED Pro and Spyder :)

I just installed the TED Pro (Spyder tomorrow). The CT on the main wires are very very tight, I had a hard time to close them, they would not move at all. It's this okay or should they be a little loose ??

My system seems to be reading but how can I check if the readings are good ?

present voltage shows 245/124
Real-time Usage 1.015 Kw currently, I tried using the oven and it went up to 4.600 kw
projected usage 1615 Kw

What means PF ??? it shows PF 96%

What test can I do to check that my system is working properly ?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm new and I need to learn. I'm reading a lot these forums to learn the best I can, but it isn't easy.

RussellH

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »
The CT on the main wires are very very tight, I had a hard time to close them, they would not move at all. It's this okay or should they be a little loose ??
It would be best is they were a little loose just to make sure they've closed all the way.  If there is any gap, the readings will be significantly low.

Power Factor
It's more of a issue for the utility company than for you.  Ideal is 1 (100%).

pfletch101

• My home page
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:49:50 PM »

Power Factor
It's more of a issue for the utility company than for you.  Ideal is 1 (100%).

PF can be thought of as a measure of the fractional amount of the measurable current flowing in a circuit that is doing work. 100% is ideal (if you are a power utility), but only seen in practice if you are driving pure resistive loads. Most household loads have some reactive (capacitative and/or inductive) component, so numbers in the 0.8 - 0.98 range are most commonly seen in practice. On the generation side, PV inverters seem to run at PFs close to 1 when generating at near their peak power ratings, but drop to much lower values when producing little power (soon after starting up in the morning or shortly before shutting down in the evening).
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

drakecoldwinter

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:54:38 PM »
The CT clamps are very tight but well closed. I tried to use my 1350W microwave and the current reading went up by 1.5Kwh so my guess is that the system seems to work properly. I also installed the spyder I will see how it works when it gather some data :) furthermore after 2 days the system is telling me my average daily usage is 29,8 Kwh. Hydro Quebec tells me, in June 2014 I used 31 Kwh/day so I'm trending towards the same numbers.

The spyder is telling me that right now my home server computer is using 0.216 Kw

I was a little disappointed to discover the Spyder CT clamps can't open and close like the main unit ones. I plan on swapping those clamps arounds each few weeks or so to check all the breakers.