Author Topic: 2 MTU system weird happenings.  (Read 6678 times)

SleepingGiant

2 MTU system weird happenings.
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
I bought a TED-5000 2 MTU system. MTU1 is working fine.  Here is where the weird stuff starts.  let me say I have spent 2 hours on the phone with BOB from the TED5000 support family.  Really a great guy.  I had to cut our session short due to the fact I had to go to work. Let me start.

MTU2 is for a 7500KW solar system.  It is setup the most common way with the power coming from the inverter into the breaker panel to a breaker. MTU2 gives no readings at all. MTU1 is set for Adjusted Load and MTU2 is set for generation.  if you swap the CT's from MTU1 and put them down on the solar wires. No Readings.  If you take the solar CT's and put them up on the top. They work fine.  BOB told me my PLC was fine. I asked him if the size of the wire matter to the CT's and he said no.  I am baffled.  I used a voltage pen to make sure there was voltage coming through the two solar wires and there is.  Thoughts?

This is a picture before the TED Install and you can see the red and black wires coming in from the inverter and going to the breaker in the lower left hand corner.

The next picture is MTU1 which works fine.

This picture shows the new breaker I added that shows both MTUs being wire nutted to the new outlet I put in strictly for the gateway. (See Video)

Here is the link to the video.

TED5000_HELP

tstolze

Re: 2 MTU system weird happenings.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
I guess question #1 would be: is your inverter actually working? There will be voltage at the breaker even if it is not working.

Unrelated question #2: Does anyone else think the wire from the inverter to the breaker is way too small for a 7.5 kw system?

Which leads to to wonder if there isn't another larger feed from the inverter to the panel, I don't see the need or reason for two feeds to the inverter, but take a good look for another pair from the inverter to the panel.

SleepingGiant

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 10:20:14 PM »
After further investigation this morning. It turns out the 2 wires going into that breaker only power the LOCUS (the open box in the picture below.) card.  has nothing to do with incoming from the inverter.

Below is a diagram I found in the packet I got from RGS.  Can someone tell me how the energy is getting from the Inverter to the Main Panel? And where I need to put the CT's?

Here are some more shots of my setup

tstolze

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
There is a some flexible conduit that runs right under your main panel from your secondary meter off the inverter...Looks like you need to see where that connects into your electrical system.

RussellH

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »
Hard to tell.  Stuff keeps going off the edge of the picture.  I'm pretty sure the solar power flows though that meter in the basement - probably though the gray flexible conduit that comes out of the switch just under the meter.  But there's a silver conduit coming out the top of the meter that I'm not sure of.

tstolze

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:07:21 AM »
I am thinking the conduit going up out of the inside meter may go to the disconnect outside for the fire department, probably out and back in.

SleepingGiant

Multiple MTU Solar with 20,000kw Generator and Transfer panel.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
This was a good learning experience.  I finally got it. I opened the transfer panel. The 3 cables coming out of that center punch in the transfer panel.  I put the CT's on the 2 black cables and it was exactly what the front of the inverter was showing.  Now, My question is.  Should MTU1 be LOAD or ADJUSTED LOAD?

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Multiple MTU Solar with 20,000kw Generator and Transfer panel.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:31 AM »
Now, My question is.  Should MTU1 be LOAD or ADJUSTED LOAD?

Adjusted Load.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

SleepingGiant

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:45:34 AM »
Thanks pfletch, Now on to getting it updating PVOUTPUT!

RussellH

Re: Multiple MTU Solar with 20,000kw Generator and Transfer panel.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
Now, My question is.  Should MTU1 be LOAD or ADJUSTED LOAD?

For most people, it would be Adjusted Load.  But in your case, the "Load" MTU appears to ONLY see the load, not the "net" going to the power company.  In that case, I'd say it should be Load.  If you were to move MTU1 to the top of the left panel, then it would be adjusted load.

DanS26

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
Sleep...

It appears you have major problems with this solar install.   Forget about getting TED and PVOutput to work for now.  You must get this install fixed ASAP.

Really, your install is a danger to you, your family and your property.

RussellH

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Forget about getting TED and PVOutput to work for now.  You must get this install fixed ASAP.
What's wrong with it?

DanS26

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »
It appears from the pics that this installation is a line side tap....but it is uncertain whether a fuse or circuit breaker protection has been installed in the first disconnect close to the tap.

It should be checked out.  A line side tap without fuse or breaker protection is dangerous.  Needs at least a 60 amp fuse and #6 AWG wire to be NEC code compliant.

The line drawing indicates a SQ D DU222RB which is an UNFUSED disconnect switch and only #8 AWG wire.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:27:32 AM by DanS26 »

SleepingGiant

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:27 AM »
Thank you for your concern.  But this installation passed 3 separate inspections.  One from the RGS solar electrical Engineer, One from the local Town Inspector, and one From United Illumination.  I know a great deal of thought went into this setup due to the fact it was the first time they installed a system at a location that had 20,000kw standby generator on an automatic transfer panel. 

DanS26

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 04:55:02 AM »
Thank you for your concern.  But this installation passed 3 separate inspections.  One from the RGS solar electrical Engineer, One from the local Town Inspector, and one From United Illumination.  I know a great deal of thought went into this setup due to the fact it was the first time they installed a system at a location that had 20,000kw standby generator on an automatic transfer panel. 

Sorry to upset the apple cart....but I am concerned.  If you do not have a fused disconnect between the inverter and your utility interconnect a fault anywhere between the inverter and the utility interconnect will only be protected by the trip device in your utility transformer. That amount of power flowing down a #8 wire will melt and catch fire in seconds.  Common sense will tell you not to ignore this even if three experts tell you different.

Do yourself a favor, open the Square D disconnect switches and look inside.  Both the inside and outside switches....if there are fuses in there then OK you're protected, if no fuses then call in a licensed electrician to fix or force RGS to make your install code compliant and safe.