Author Topic: Aggredata & Power Outage Monitoring  (Read 1724 times)

montge

Aggredata & Power Outage Monitoring
« on: June 23, 2014, 06:20:58 AM »
I'm about to move to a new neighborhood, and I've heard that power outages occur from time to time.  I'm wondering if there's a good way to use the TED 5000 to track power outages. Aggredata seems like it's tracking enough data, along with assuming that if no data received it means a outage most likely, to know.

Has anyone tried to do something with the TED to do this?  Or have suggestions a of other methods of doing something similar.  I'm looking for a low maintenance solution.

Unfortunately even though our utility company recently installed smart meters all over the area, which can be used to detect outages, they don't pass that information onto their customers.

pfletch101

• My home page
Re: Aggredata & Power Outage Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
If your main/only interest is in documenting power outages, and (presumably) the line conditions leading up to and immediately following them, TED is probably not the ideal solution, since all its components are line powered and take a finite (though not very long) time to come back up and start recording data again after a power outage. Details of brownouts down to a level that is not sufficient to shut TED down will be recorded, but outages will be documented only as periods with no recorded data. If you want to use TED for its other capabilities, of course, this may be enough for you. Otherwise, among other options you may want to consider are the power-line diagnostic capabilities of a mid-range UPS unit, which will also protect your computer equipment from adverse effects from the unstable power.
Peter R. Fletcher
TED Pro Home - main MTUs monitoring utility and PV Solar feeds; 2 Spyders monitoring selected individual circuits

DanS26

Re: Aggredata & Power Outage Monitoring
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 01:40:55 AM »
All utility companies keep meticulous records on when and where power outages occur.  You need to ask them......real friendly of course.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:43:16 AM by DanS26 »