Author Topic: Android App  (Read 8389 times)

androidfanbuddy

Android App
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
 EDITED 03/13/12:  New update 2.5 AndTED Android App

If anyone downloads it and has any problem or anything else please let me know, Thanks!

Edited: New 2.5 Update- Better look, also added csv history views, also now includes voice speech commands and speech to text.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:14:58 PM by androidfanbuddy »

Elmo

Re: Android App
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:59:40 AM »
I just downloaded this app and don't know where to get the Live Data XML Address.  I assume that it is the IP address of my machine but what about /api/LiveData.xml.  Where do I get that data or is it point to something that is on my machine also?

Thanks for yoru help.

Elmo

androidfanbuddy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Edited: -See First Post- New update
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:47:58 AM by androidfanbuddy »

GAR

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
110826-0815 EDT

androidfanbuddy:

You need to correctly use words and units. I believe in some spots you are using the word power where energy should be used. Same problem with units. kW is being used where kWh should be.

I see little need for this sort of application. Why do most persons need real time information very often when away from home? Today we are overloaded with unneeded information. My yearly energy use is moderately constant. Same for monthly. Last year it ran as follows:
14,343 kWh was the year total, and cost 1891.50, or 0.132 / kWh.
The monthly usage was
Some of the variation is weather related, and other variations for random reasons, including making a great effort to turn off lights my wife leaves on.

Average usage per month was 1195 kWh. Peak deviations were +271, and -269.

I think the important measurements to display for real time reference are:
Present voltage, and maybe the min and max since some reference point like midnight.
Present power
kWh since a reference point, again maybe midnight.
Power factor, but I don't think most users need it.
If graphs are provided, then instantaneous power since the time reference, and possibly cumulative energy from that reference.

Personally I have no use for CO2 or dollar information. CO2 is totally useless clutter. Dollar information divorces one from actual energy usage, and is thus clutter, and focuses on cost rather than energy reduction. We need overall energy use reduced because it is a commodity in short supply. That does not mean we are not interested in cost. But really on an instantaneous basis? Probably not.

Those users with time of day billing or peak charges have a totally different problem to solve, and need special approaches. Do not buy electric instant on hot water heaters.

In general one needs to understand the energy use of each different load, their effect on the total, and what changes can be made to reduce energy consumption without degradation of function, and how any changes effect overall cost.

On your format I would move the numerical values to the left, and align the decimal points.
Then order as follows:

Date and time
Present voltage
Max voltage today
Minimum voltage today
Present power
Maximum power today
Minimum power today
Cumulative energy today

androidfanbuddy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
110826-0815 EDT

androidfanbuddy:

You need to correctly use words and units. I believe in some spots you are using the word power where energy should be used. Same problem with units. kW is being used where kWh should be.

I see little need for this sort of application. Why do most persons need real time information very often when away from home? Today we are overloaded with unneeded information. My yearly energy use is moderately constant. Same for monthly. Last year it ran as follows:
14,343 kWh was the year total, and cost 1891.50, or 0.132 / kWh.
The monthly usage was
Some of the variation is weather related, and other variations for random reasons, including making a great effort to turn off lights my wife leaves on.

Average usage per month was 1195 kWh. Peak deviations were +271, and -269.

I think the important measurements to display for real time reference are:
Present voltage, and maybe the min and max since some reference point like midnight.
Present power
kWh since a reference point, again maybe midnight.
Power factor, but I don't think most users need it.
If graphs are provided, then instantaneous power since the time reference, and possibly cumulative energy from that reference.

Personally I have no use for CO2 or dollar information. CO2 is totally useless clutter. Dollar information divorces one from actual energy usage, and is thus clutter, and focuses on cost rather than energy reduction. We need overall energy use reduced because it is a commodity in short supply. That does not mean we are not interested in cost. But really on an instantaneous basis? Probably not.

Those users with time of day billing or peak charges have a totally different problem to solve, and need special approaches. Do not buy electric instant on hot water heaters.

In general one needs to understand the energy use of each different load, their effect on the total, and what changes can be made to reduce energy consumption without degradation of function, and how any changes effect overall cost.

On your format I would move the numerical values to the left, and align the decimal points.
Then order as follows:

Date and time
Present voltage
Max voltage today
Minimum voltage today
Present power
Maximum power today
Minimum power today
Cumulative energy today

Thanks forthe feedback, I probably should use energy instead of Power but I am just showing which tags the app is reading from the livedata.xml, also all the power readings I am using are in Watts and I am dividing by 1000 to get kW.  Also these picture readings are testing data and not live.

Some people may not have a display and just use the gateway with the 5000, that way they have a display in there pocket and on the go.

Wouter

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
I can't find this app on the Market.  What I am missing here.

Wouter

Slammin

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:59 AM »
This is a great app!  Let's face it, the wireless display is very limited (very), this app eliminates that frustration.  Thank you androidfanbuddy!

Wouter

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:20 PM »
I've figured out the problem... this App is not available in Canada.

I sure hope that changes.

Wouter

jimmy neutron

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
This app is fantastic! It looks great, it gives all information, and it's free! I'll be donating a bit for sure. One request Androidfanbuddy....how about making a windows desktop version?  :)

Awesome job!

Jimmy

kendive

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
I have the HTC Thunderbolt (rooted). You app is not capable of working with this droid?

Any plans on adding more phones that will work with your app?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:38:43 PM by kendive »

cdimartino

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
Thank you for making the app, I will certainly contribute! Critical views are to be expected, you handled it very well. Even with a display, I find this app helpful, it is not like I carry the display to the barn, even though the barn has wifi and a pc, I don't often power a pc at the barn, usually it is to display a detail of solar production.
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?page=63d98fbd-374d-4f4c-9607-08c9098a7c81&plant=eaeac6b4-1733-49fa-bdc1-3df0d7481a81&splang=en-US
Because of the physical solar generation connection, the production is not integrated with TED.

raiden658

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
Great looking ap, but I am having problems getting the data.  I have an HTC Evo 4G.  I get the screens, but it says "updating, please stand by."  and never completes.  I have myeragy and can access the data as well as using the TED footprints program on to veiw the energy usage from my off site computer.  THus, I know the energy data can be transmitted.

raiden658

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
Never mind, I should use reading glasses when looking at screen.  I had put a wrong letter in the URL.  Now everything seems to be working. ;D

androidfanbuddy

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 12:52:58 AM »
New update this week to the app, better looking and also adds csv history listviews and better handling on live data and widget.  See edited first post for screenshot.
Also added Canada to the android market listings also. Thanks

Edit-new 2.5 version adds speech commands and speech to text, just for fun ;D

*Also if your rooted and can't see the application in the market. Please email me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:27:36 PM by androidfanbuddy »

androidfanbuddy

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
Version 2.6 - Adds gestures, swipe left or right to change data value views, long press anywhere on screen to refresh data, added colored bars and couple of widgets with value bars also.
Hope you guys like it, especially since it's free, that will be it with the updates unless someone has a issue, and I may add some more speech commands in the next couple of weeks but that will about do it for another 6-8months ;D. Please email me if you have any issues or questions!