Author Topic: TED 1000 - No month capture, constant disconnects, and mixed readings  (Read 4341 times)

jeffdoo

Well the subject pretty much says it all....  The unit was great when I first installed around Jan '10, it was within < 1% of our actual readings meter readings but lately unit is swinging +/- 7.5%.  I'm not sure about April/May because the unit stopped rolling the months this past March '11.

The connectivity is also becoming horrible.  We have Insteon throughout the house and TED worked fine but later it started losing connectivity with the MTU.  So the only option I could figure out was to move the MTU and TED to the same breaker on a line dedicated to once piece of home theater equipment which is probably ~12 feet between the two (panel is in the garage directly underneath).  I then purchased an Digi "Anywhere USB-5" which extends your USB connections over ethernet using TCP/IP.  Everything but the TED unit itself is connected to a UPS (computers, Anywhere, switches, etc) but we lose connection to the TED unit almost every 2 days and sometimes multiple times within the same hour the same day.  I have the TED and a GPS unit (for time syncing) connected to the Anywhere USB and the GPS works without a hitch for months.  I have to constantly login remotely (VNC) to touch the Footprints software: click on Tool -> Change COM Port, change nothing, and then click Okay.  This seems to trigger the Footprints software to attempt opening the COM port again and we work for a couple more days (maybe).  Doesn't the software have some kind of retry if the unit isn't found?

I couldn't catch the first digits but the firmware appears to be "9.01U"

Hoping this firmware update (9.02?) I see mentioned in the forum will resolve my problems.

Thanks!

TEDSupport6

You definitely need to update your firmware and that should fix many of the problems you're having. As for the accuracy, you may want to consider installing a wired-in line filter because that UPS could be what is decreasing the accuracy of your readings (and signal from the MTU) or possibly causing your data to drop out. Also, what operating system are you using on your computer?

jeffdoo

I apologize for taking so long to reply, life is busy I keep forgetting to check back here.  I did mark for me to be notified of replies and hopefully I'll be more responsive.

I guess I need to send an eMail to someone to get the firmware?

Regarding the UPS, I think we have seven in the house, so do I need a filter for each of them?  And, lets just say I know nothing about this, what filter should I consider purchasing?  And, there is no UPS on the circuit with TED/MTU.  Also, the problem existed before I got the UPS for the theater closet where the TED unit is housed, because I thought the daily power drops were causing a problem with either the USB hub or SMC switch.  But, if it'll remove noise from the line and improve powerline communications (TED / Insteon) I'm all for trying.

And, the operating system is Windows Vista Business (32-bit).

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:28:35 AM by jeffdoo »