Author Topic: Adding additional MTUs -- what do the serial numbers mean?  (Read 10440 times)

bdummann

Adding additional MTUs -- what do the serial numbers mean?
« on: August 02, 2013, 05:09:04 AM »
I have a TED5000 with one MTU and now want to add additional MTUs.  I see multiple places to order these from, but some some ask for existing serial numbers of MTUs.  I see from posts that some MTU serial numbers have 6-digits (XX XX XX), some have a letter prefix (X YY YY YY), and some have 9-digits (XXX XX XX XX).  I also see that Footprints only accepts 6-digits.  How do I know which MTUs will work together and which will have conflicts?  How do I enter the serial number when there are more than 6 digits?  Seems like there should be a technical manual somewhere -- but can't find it.  Any advice?

Support7

• Administrator
Re: Adding additional MTUs -- what do the serial numbers mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »
Good Morning bdummann,

The 9 digit serial MTUs are for the TED1000 series system, the first three digits are the house code. If the serial starts with a letter, either A, B, C, or D, and then a 6 digit number (usually starting with 10) it should be ok to use with the TED5000 series as long as the beginning letters are different. Newer TED5000 MTUs have a 6 digit serial number preceded by a letter and then "S/N", and then the 6 digit number. Again, make sure the beginning letters are different or you will have conflicts in communication.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any more, you can always submit a support ticket to www.theenergydetective.com/new-ticket. Thanks for you question and have a great day!

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support
www.theenergydetective.com

bdummann

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  Just to be clear for the older TED 5000 MTUs that don't have a letter preceding the 6-digit number, what are the rules for mixing them with the newer MTUs beginning with A, B, C, or D?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
bdummann,

The older TED5000 MTU serial numbers are a hex code, to see what mod they are (A, B, C or D) the easiest way is to post the numbers and I'll convert them for you to see what the mod is.

Have a great day!

TED Forum Support
www.theenergydetective.com

SolarWonk

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
Support7,

I was just sold a TED 5000 system with an MTU Serial Number: 090407789. How would this translate into the 6 digital MTU serial number for entry into the Footprints software?

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »
Good Morning SolarWonk,

That serial number is for the older 1000 series MTUs and is not compatible with TED 5000 systems.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support

scanchain

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 01:30:48 AM »
I have the TED 5000.

I bought an additional MTU with ID 037 11 22 25 from Ebay and couldn't get it to work.

Is this MTU compatible with my system?

The label on the MTU does say TED Model 5000 MTU.

thank you.

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
Hello scanchain,

That MTU is a TED 1001 series MTU, and is not compatible with your system.

Best Regards,

TED Forum Support