Author Topic: Adding Load Profiles  (Read 5741 times)

Patrick

Adding Load Profiles
« on: April 13, 2011, 05:08:39 AM »
We have just purchased TED and are loving it!  One question is in regards to the Load Profiles; you only have the ability to put in 5 loads, can we add more?
Thanks

TEDSupport6

Re: Adding Load Profiles
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:03:43 AM »
At this time you can only have up to 5 load profiles. We suggest using this feature to measure the largest loads in the home: HVAC, pool pump, water heater, etc.

mknox

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:28:15 AM »
I've never been able to get Load Profile to work - even once.

I am trying to profile my water heater, and here's what I've tried so far:

With tank calling for heat, turned off breaker, set TED to learning mode, turned on breaker and captured values. Didn't work. Tried several more times, capturing values each time, but never worked.

Took the nameplate wattage values and input into TED. Doesn't work.

Looked very closely at the logs and calculated a value based on before and after values as water heater turned on and off and input those into RED. Still no-go.

Hooked a separate ammeter up to the tank, took readings (converted to watts) and imput those values. Still no-go.

I also tried widening the per-cent error margin with no success.

I've tried several times over several firmware versions (currently on the most recent) and have never been able to get TED to "see" the water heater come on even once.

I have to ask... does this feature even work? I had wanted to profile my central a/c as well, but if I can't even get a stupid-simple resistive element to work, I'm doubtful I'll ever see my a/c.

Mike

martingugino

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:31 AM »
It seems hard to believe that software vendors cling to such idiotic failing features. But this one seems to be theirs, like Google Powermenter has the "always on" feature. Hey guys! These are not features, these are bugs.  

Why have options that just dishearten your customers? Beats me.....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:15:34 AM by martingugino »

mknox

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
Actually, I discovered that you can turn off the "Always On" feature in Google:

Go to Settings, select the Devices tab and edit the Always On value to "hide". Save changes and that annoying feature is gone!

rotus8

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
I too have not been able to get the profile feature to work, trying pretty much the same steps. It seems a valuable feature, but actually not easy to implement. I think it requires quite a sophisticated algorithm probably taking significant compute power, code that has to run all the time. And just think, it's all running in a little brick the size of just the power wart for a home router or something, actually pretty impressive it does what it does.

I think the feature is tied up with the brand "Footprints".

martingugino

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:04:32 PM »
mknox! You are the Man!  I disabled the "always on". 
Lord Kelvin couldn't be bothered to say that in the Google forum. He doesn't exchange comments with serfs, prolly. 

kirbinster

• Trent
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »
Has anyone got load profiling to work?  When I tell it to learn it popup in the figure -96 watts and does not record the big appliance correctly.  Am I doing something wrong?
Installed TED 4/11 on my 200amp service and 10KW solar array

SherlockOhms

• Sherlock
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:37:16 AM »
Some tips on profiling.

1.  Turn everything off. Profile the device in a "quite" environment.  That way there are less fluctuations that can affect the reading.

2. I prefer to use the graphing vs. the learning feature.  Watching the real-time in seconds sample size you want to toggle the device on and off a few times and look at the "delta" between the readings.  In other words. The value expected in the load profile is NOT the peak! It's the difference between reading with device off (whatever it is, it doesn't matter) to what it is when device turned on (critical).
Example.  Idle reading of house with most loads off is 0.300kw   Your water heater kicks in and your reading becomes 5,300kw.  
The value entered into profile is 5,000.  

3. Once you accurately determined the load of the device.  AND made a few more measurements calculate the average use.  In other words.  It's very rare that your power is so stable that your devices draw EXACTLY same amount of power all the time. It will vary with load in your neighborhood as voltage swings up and down. So that 5,000 reading may show up as 4,998kw sometimes or 5,003kw   That is what the percentage of error is for.  Take a few readings and see what your average reading is. Use THAT value and set your percentage error so that it's slightly over your actual average readings.  

kirbinster

• Trent
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 04:59:47 AM »
Thanks.  While I can't get the learn function to work I did finally figure out how to do it the way you are suggesting.  The problem I was having was units, I was entering watts rather than Kilowatts.  So when my dryer was using 5300 watts I should have entered 5.3 rather than 5300.  Everytime I entered the watts it would just default to .96kw after I hit enter.  Now it works fine, in theory.  The biggest problem I have is that my cloths dryer and oven both seem to pull just about the same wattage which makes it very hard to get this to work.
Installed TED 4/11 on my 200amp service and 10KW solar array

mknox

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »
I've tried multiple methods including exactly what SherlockOhms suggests with no success on my water heater. I may go back and try some more, perhaps with even wider per-cent error and see what I get. My water heater is 4,800 watts against a background of about 300 watts and is *very* obvious in the graphs, so I'm stumped as to why TED has not been able to "see" it coming on and off. Being responsible for Metering and Billing at the electric utility I work for, I am confident that I am calculating the units correctly  ;D

mp3addicted

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:18 AM »
I had the same problem adding load profiles and figured out that not all devices can be added, here is why:
I was trying to add my HVAC Furnace to a load profile.
Steps from when the unit is off:
-Exhaust fan turns on + 100w 
-then the igniter turns on and starts the fire,
-once it reaches heating temp the furnace fan turns on  + 350w.
Total wattage with exhaust fan and furnace fan on 450w

From On state to Off.
- Igniter, Fire, and exhaust shuts off - 100w
- Furnace fan shuts off -350w

For me it is a dual stage on and dual stage off and the stages and wattage drops are not in the sequence that the load profile are looking for. the load profile assumes that if you have a dual stage on, it will be a single stage off.
Maybe your water heater is doing something similar where it is starting up and shutting off where it doesnt match the load profile setting.

Also a huge bug that I noticed: If you add a load profile (manually) while the device is on it will record the on time as off and the off time as on. You have to add it while it is off, and I had best results with rebooting the gateway after adding load profiles.