Author Topic: TED5000 network ARP "storm"  (Read 4013 times)

tonyg

TED5000 network ARP "storm"
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
Hi,

Was troubleshooting some phantom / unusual broadcasts on my LAN earlier today.

Very long story short, my TED5000 is sending CONSTANT ARP request broadcasts.  They are requesting the MAC of either my DHCP or DNS server (both share the same IP, so I don't know).  My packet capture showed an ARP broadcast rate of about 120-130 requests/sec which was putting about 7KB/sec network load on every device on the LAN.

Unplugging TED from the LAN immediately killed the phantom broadcasts to all devices, plugging it back in started them back up within a few seconds.

I can forward along a filtered Wireshark capture if you guys want, but it seems as if either TED is not caching ARP or is stuck cycling somewhere thinking it has to lookup ARP for DHCP or DNS. 

The packet rate and actual throughput is not a load problem on my LAN (obv), but it may be impacting TED's performance.  Thought you should know.

Tony

SolarKen

Re: TED5000 network ARP "storm"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
I've seen the same type of activity before with my TED 5000.  What version of software are you on?

tonyg

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:25:54 PM »
Would have to double check the exact version when I'm home.   I keep my firmware regularly updated (haven't tried the latest version though)... so as a rough guesstimate, I'm on the firmware immediately prior to current.

tonyg

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
Here's my version information as promised:

Gateway Version 1.0.483
Daughterboard Version 1.0.88
Footprints Version 1.0.263

Another post suggested that this was fixed in a recent firmware update, can anyone confirm?

mtbdick

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 02:18:56 PM »
This is still happening with my TED 5000.  Gateway version: 1.0.499  Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks,
Richard

Support7

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
You may need to do a factory reset to defaults to resolve this so I will include a video link below on that process but typically this would be caused by something on your network conflicting with the IP address assigned to the Gateway so if you have set the Gateway to a Static IP address then you may want to verify that nothing else on your network has a leased time for that IP address or change the IP address to something else. You can typically check the IP address leases through your router UI. You could also set the IP address back to DHCP within Footprints by going to Footprints > Edit > System Settings > Network Settings. If it is already set to DHCP then you can try setting it to a static IP address but verify nothing else on the network currently has the IP address assigned leased to another device. The factory reset would set it back to default DHCP so it should automatically reassign.

Factory Default Reset Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B13h7_zU4QY&feature=em-upload_owner

If you run into any questions or anything please let us know by going to http://www.theenergydetective.com/ticket and fill in the requested information to submit a support ticket so we can work to resolve any issues that may arise ASAP and make sure we provide the right firmware for any updates requested or required.

TED Support
www.theenergydetective.com